Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 SV650(naked) and am running into a lot of dirt roads I want to ride. I currently have BT020 tires, they do not like gravel roads. What?s my best bet, change the tires to Metzeler Tourance or Michelin Anakee or get a 19? front wheel off a DL650 and change the tires. What do you think?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the best tires I have found for gravel are Pirelli MTR60s, they are very soft supermotard tires so they don't last long, Avon Distanzia's are ok but not as good, I haven't tried Pirelli Sync's yet and I have also heard good reviews on Continental Road Attacks, I run the MTR60's as a "winter" tire, and Azaro ST's in the other 3 seasons, about 15-20% of my riding is gravel roads

swwapping to a 19" hoop is more complicated than just swapping rims

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
Reduce your air pressure by about 10psi.  :eek:
what's your reasioning for that? I don't, and never heard of such a thing, I don't think it's the best thing to do on rough roads with tubeless rime either

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
RandyO said:
what's your reasioning for that?  I don't, and never heard of such a thing,  I don't think it's the best thing to do on rough roads with tubeless rime either 
I've never done this on a bike but I know for off-roading cages it's a common practice to get more traction. It gives you a bigger contact patch and lets the tire mold itself over and around surface imperfections. Don't kow how good an idea it is for a bike.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
Reduce your air pressure by about 10psi.  :eek:
Yeah... ok, so I was just sort of kidding about that. I thought it was implied with the :eek:. I don't know if 10 PSI is the right ammount. You might want to go to advrider.com and ask. They could definately tell you. I've been on some gravel/stone roads up around Richmond and I used about 35/30. Mind you, I wasn't doing 60 down them, but I was at a comfortable pace. Softer tires give you more surface area on the road... to a point. Then the tires start slipping around the rim... that's bad. I wouldn't suggest riding for any length of time on soft tires either. I'm just saying.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I know that 4 wheelers, especially guys that go rock crawling drop their pressure, I also know that occasionally they loose the seal on the bead, not something I want to have happen on a bike, also, 60series profile is quite low, a soft tire could lead to rim damage, what kind of pressure to real dirt bikes run?

reducing the pressure on a radial tire doen't increase contact patch substantially

·
Registered
26 Posts
Back in my dual sporting days, I rode tens of thousands of miles on gravel. The best thing is to get the narrowest tires that will fit on your rims, and get the most aggressive tread you can. It's a lot like driving on snow. Wide tires with shallow street tread will just float on top of the gravel. You want narrow tires with deep tread blocks and a decent amount of space between tread blocks. Think of motocross tires. That's what you're aiming for, but I doubt you can get anything like that for your SV. I think the closest thing you'll find is the tires off a DL650. I can't remember who makes them, but they look like they'd be somewhat decent on gravel. Another thing you can do to help stability on gravel is to sit as far forward as you can. Keep as much weight as you can on the front end. The front tire needs as much traction as it can get to keep it going straight in loose gravel. Don't worry about the back tire, it will take care of itself as long as the front tire is pointing straight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RandyO said:
what kind of  pressure to real dirt bikes run?
About 15psi in my CR250.  Maybe a little less if I'm running in the sand. That's with intertubes and rim lockers that hold the tire to the rim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts