Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For $500 I picked up a 1978 GL1000, looks a little rough, but after 20 min it already fires up and runs smooth.

Its been sitting outside for 15 years, and everything still works. Its going to be a fun project and when I'm done it will be a good cruiser.

Not a replacing the SV, its replacing my CB for my cruiser

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Nice project bike!

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
653 Posts
These four cylinders are very tough old bikes- loads of them went well over 100,000 miles with just routine maintenance. It was one of the first bikes that would do that. They also handle surprising well for their weight. That is a good find.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Despite its origins (and weight), guys are turning these into cafes these days ... kinda cool I think.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Nice find. I have a friend who is in the process of restoring one of these. According to him, there are still loads of oem and aftermarket parts available.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I like the one RD350 posted, (well....'cept for the cheesy "Tailgunner" slip-on;)).

Check out some of the clips from "octanetube" and "gearhead48" on Youtube.

;D

Nice project....keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Obviously most people on the board don't remember, but the GW was not originally a huge touring bike bought mostly by the geriatric set. It was standard naked bike, no accessories available, and it was also Honda's fastest bike. So a cafe conversion on one of the old ones isn't quite as crazy as it might seem. :)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
When I'm done it will be a good cruiser.

Not a replacing the SV, its replacing my CB for my cruiser
Neither are cruiser's, but are standards ;D.

Nice find though, I was tempted to buy an old 'wing earlier this year but remembered I am thinning my "herd", not adding to it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neither are cruiser's, but are standards ;D.
I know, but the CB is my "cruiser" and the SV is my "sport bike"

Off to get a rear tire, **** thing nearly killed me lastnight getting it up on the center stand like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Keep Us Posted every step of the way!! would be a killer project for myself as well but don't have the room or resources to restore motorcycles

·
Registered
482 Posts
Old Goldwings kick a$$. This is a bit of thread jack, but... Argentine Emilio Scotto holds a Guiness world record for longest motorcycle journey. He rode 279 countries/territories, +500K miles in 10 years on a Goldwing interstate. He did it with no money or sponsors.
His book has awesome picture of him riding through muddy African roads, people holding their mummified relatives in Papa New Guinea, riding in frozen Russia, etc... Great motorcycle coffee table book.
http://www.amazon.com/Longest-Ride-Ten-Year-Motorcycle-Journey/dp/0760326320/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238286625&sr=8-1

·
Registered
328 Posts
I dig it man! Can't wait to see how it turns out...

·
Registered
406 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts