Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my Suzuki OEM Fairings after it took a month to get them...another story.  Anyways, I went around town a few minutes ago looking for the heat tape that are on full fairing bikes like the GSXR and on my dirtbike side panels that sit almost against the muffler and no one seems to have anything.

1)  Is anyone else running a full exhaust system with the oem fairings?  I have a Full Standard mount M4 exhaust and it appears the fairing will be really close to the exhaust header for cylinder 1.   Have you had any problems without using tape?

2)  Anyone know where to get some of the tape used on the bikes from the factory?

Oh, I didn't realize this installation would include about 50 parts and be more complicated than the exhaust...so much for installing it in 30 minutes before the wife got home lol!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: OEM Full Fairings with Aftermarket exhaust...heat tape??

Midpipe on the M4 hits factory lowers.

I used a 1/2" spacer under the lower mount on the fairring to push it away from the pipe.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thanks for the tip, did the 1/2" spacer make a noticeable gap? Did you use any heat tape or protective material on that side? Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts

bbmxta said:
thanks for the tip, did the 1/2" spacer make a noticeable gap? Did you use any heat tape or protective material on that side? Thanks!
Yeah, enough room so that I don't melt the lowers.

I didn't use any tape or heat wrap.

You could also trim the lower edge, its up to you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I found the tape on several sites including parts unlimited and tucker rockey. Here are the part numbers in case anyone is interested:

Mooseracing Heat Shield (Parts Unlimited)
18"x18" P/N M30051

Maier Heat Tiles (Parts Unlimited)
Large P/N M69998

Helix Racing Aluminized Heat Barrier (Tucker-Rocky)
12"x40" P/N 53-0677

Heatshieldproducts.com
1-1/2"x20' (Look at vendor list and order..around $30)

Some looked better than othes. Most are a fiberglass or other type fabric with aluminum reflective material on top and are rated at 400deg F continous and 1000deg short term.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok I started on the install today and must say the instructions SUCK!! Went pretty easy at first until you try and determine what bolt "M", "N" or any other letter is because the cardboard that the parts came stuck to have some code under every part that isn't referenced anywhere. Luckily you could figure it out for the most part.

Questions:

1) it never says anything about tightening down the brackets used to hold the fairing on the raidiator or the frame just says don't tighten down...appears you have to put the fairing on then align the brackets and take it back off so you can tighten the nuts down properly for the fron two brackets. Correct?

2) People with 05 SVS and Full exhaust...how did you even get the bottom right side bracket to bolt down. Mine hits the exhaust and will not even get close unless I turn it sideways then it isn't aligned. Looks like I need to shave the bottom portion off the bracket so it will fit over the exhaust then put the spacer in with a longer bolt so that it will reach the fairing. I may shave the fairing slightly where it touches the exhaust also. Any ideas on the bracket...I can take a snap shot of the problem area if need be. Honestly I don't think the bracket would have worked with the stock exhaust. I may take it by the dealer and put it up next to one of the 05-06 models if there are any in to see.

Left side was a breeze, right side except for lower bracket wasn't too bad, I would like to powder coat the big silver washers where the frame sliders go if I leave them on...but frame sliders are my next item...good ones that is. Now to sell my motosliders :(

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah, you have to put on the brackets, leave them lose enough so you can move them. Line up the body work, remove the body work, and then torque the bolt.

As I said before, you will need to get creativte with the lower mounting point, on the exhaust side of the bike. Trimming and spacing seem to do the trick. The M4 headers are thicker and stick out further than stock.

If you are selling your motosliders, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep I got creative and they are finally installed. I will take a pic and post what I did. At this point I didn't worry how pretty it looked for the "creative" brackets since you don't really notice them anyways.

I will let you know on the motosliders once I find out if a buddy of mine wanted them or not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had no probs whatsoever when I installed my full fairing. I also had no clearance issues between the fairing and the pipe. No heat melting the lowers either. I guess lucky me. Yes I had to leave the brackets slightly loose enough to line everything up. from start to finish the job took about 45 min. send out a pic of the new fairing. Why did the fairings take so long?? what shop? I ordered mine along with the factory sliders and solo seat. took about 2 weeks and the fairing actually arrived first from Toronto. the other stuff took up the rest of the time. glad that you finally got it sorted out.
Les

·
Registered
514 Posts
topdog said:
I had no probs whatsoever when I installed my full fairing. I also had no clearance issues between the fairing and the pipe. No heat melting the lowers either. I guess lucky me. Yes I had to leave the brackets slightly loose enough to line everything up. from start to finish the job took about 45 min. send out a pic of the new fairing. Why did the fairings take so long?? what shop? I ordered mine along with the factory sliders and solo seat. took about 2 weeks and the fairing actually arrived first from Toronto. the other stuff took up the rest of the time. glad that you finally got it sorted out.
Les
What are you running for headers? I can tell you the M4s are an issue for certian.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is the full M4 system...Carbon can, titanium mid pipe and stainless headers.

·
Registered
899 Posts
You think the Suzuki instructions suck? I got a set of JMV lowers for my 1K and all they sent with the bag of parts was a PICTURE!!!! Nothing written whatsoever!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cyclerider105 said:
You think the Suzuki instructions suck?  I got a set of JMV lowers for my 1K and all they sent with the bag of parts was a PICTURE!!!!  Nothing written whatsoever!
DOH, that is bad!  Ok Here are a few pics of the fairing problem area when you have aftermarket exhaust.  Warning this bracket is not  going to win any patents and will be painted black later and cleaned up..I just wanted them on so I could ride :D.  As far as it taking so long, if I had stock exhaust I would of had it on in a hour or so, I like to take my time and test fit and check everything over several times.  Also to put the loctite on the bolts like they recommend, you have to take the fairings and bolts and brackets back off after the test fit so you can install the loctite.

http://www.geocities.com/bbmxta/sv650s/fairing/fairingbracket.JPG

Here are two pics showing the stock exhaust vs the M4 exhaust and you will see why we have the problem but notice how much more free flowing M4 designed the exhaust to be..I like it :D

http://www.geocities.com/bbmxta/sv650s/exhaust/ExhaustComparisonStockVSM4.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts