Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few members have recommended sticking with the OEM chain,
which I believe is a DID V-series chain.

I want to order on from Ron Ayers, but
the fiche doesn't indicate if it comes with a master-link or not.

Does anyone know?

If it's an endless chain, I'll go with aftermarket cause I have
no interest in taking the swingarm off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
keep oem SIZE(525).. not that same model of chain

jeez.. go to www.kneedraggers.com and check out their DID and RK chains

stock chain is low tech compared to whats availible now.

N

·
0 Posts
You don't need to remove the swingarm. The chain uses a rivet or clip-type master link. It''ll come with one or the other, probably rivet.

:)

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
You don't need to remove the swingarm. The chain uses a rivet or clip-type master link. It''ll come with one or the other, probably rivet.

:)
The 525 DID I just got came w/a clip link and I wnt to the local Cycle Gear and picked up a rivet link for it for about $5 more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, chains mostly come endless. Just take out a link and replace it with a rivet one.

Don't use the clip links. I've had two correctly mounted clip links fail while I've never had any problems with rivet links. For the rivet link you need a proper tool - it's available for around 40-50$ if you look around. Both disconnects and rivets chains. And once you have the tool you can help friends out too :wink: If you don't want to spend that money, put on a clip link for the ride to a shop to have them put a rivet link on...

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
SVS at GdC said:
Yeah, chains mostly come endless. Just take out a link and replace it with a rivet one.

Don't use the clip links. I've had two correctly mounted clip links fail while I've never had any problems with rivet links. For the rivet link you need a proper tool - it's available for around 40-50$ if you look around. Both disconnects and rivets chains. And once you have the tool you can help friends out too :wink: If you don't want to spend that money, put on a clip link for the ride to a shop to have them put a rivet link on...
Do yourself a favor and buy the more expensive tool if your going to goto the effort of buying the chain breaker/rivet tool.

Also, you can not use the tool to take the stock chain off. You have to cut it with somthing (Bolt Cutters, Hack Saw, Die Grinder - My personal choice). If you try to use the chain breaker with a OEM chain, you WILL break the tool.

http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/chaintools.html

Mark

·
Registered
419 Posts
The key to breaking a chain with most chain breakers without damaging the tool is to file or grind off the heads of the pins on the link you are trying to break.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys.

I ended up going with OEM sprockets and an RK XSO chain.
I also ordered the RK chain breaker/riveter tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts