Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few members have recommended sticking with the OEM chain,
which I believe is a DID V-series chain.

I want to order on from Ron Ayers, but
the fiche doesn't indicate if it comes with a master-link or not.

Does anyone know?

If it's an endless chain, I'll go with aftermarket cause I have
no interest in taking the swingarm off.

Thanks!

G

·
You don't need to remove the swingarm. The chain uses a rivet or clip-type master link. It''ll come with one or the other, probably rivet.

:)

· Premium Member
510 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
You don't need to remove the swingarm. The chain uses a rivet or clip-type master link. It''ll come with one or the other, probably rivet.

:)
The 525 DID I just got came w/a clip link and I wnt to the local Cycle Gear and picked up a rivet link for it for about $5 more.

· Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, chains mostly come endless. Just take out a link and replace it with a rivet one.

Don't use the clip links. I've had two correctly mounted clip links fail while I've never had any problems with rivet links. For the rivet link you need a proper tool - it's available for around 40-50$ if you look around. Both disconnects and rivets chains. And once you have the tool you can help friends out too :wink: If you don't want to spend that money, put on a clip link for the ride to a shop to have them put a rivet link on...

· Premium Member
169 Posts
SVS at GdC said:
Yeah, chains mostly come endless. Just take out a link and replace it with a rivet one.

Don't use the clip links. I've had two correctly mounted clip links fail while I've never had any problems with rivet links. For the rivet link you need a proper tool - it's available for around 40-50$ if you look around. Both disconnects and rivets chains. And once you have the tool you can help friends out too :wink: If you don't want to spend that money, put on a clip link for the ride to a shop to have them put a rivet link on...
Do yourself a favor and buy the more expensive tool if your going to goto the effort of buying the chain breaker/rivet tool.

Also, you can not use the tool to take the stock chain off. You have to cut it with somthing (Bolt Cutters, Hack Saw, Die Grinder - My personal choice). If you try to use the chain breaker with a OEM chain, you WILL break the tool.

http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/chaintools.html

Mark

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I ended up going with OEM sprockets and an RK XSO chain.
I also ordered the RK chain breaker/riveter tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.