Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to see what mileage people are getting out there stock chain.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
right around 16k, can't remember if it was over or under, that was over 100k ago

I get 30k± with a scottoiler that I installed at about 20k, I use OEM chains

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
my bike has about 15K miles and the sprocket still looks brand new-- very symmetric teeth, no obvious wear. the tire turns freely so it doesn't seem like the chain is binding anywhere. i think chains are one of those things that go suddenly-- one day i'll go to lube my chain and there'll be a real tight spot somewhere and it'll be time for a new chain/sprocket.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I changed mine at 17000km (10500miles). I tightened it frequently but was much harder than average on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i'm up to 24,000 KM (i guess that's about 15K miles).
i'll be changing mine this winter.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I got 12-16K (somewhere in that range) out of my OEM chain. Truth be told, I did not take proper care of it and should have replaced it sooner, but I didn't know any better--first bike, first chain...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a ScottsOiler, installed at 2K, 15K now, and the chain and sprockets are still within specifications. My goal is to reach 30K, just like RandyO, but we will see?

·
Registered
153 Posts
my chain was toast @ 13k. Like a few others, this was my first bike, first time maintaining a chain and I didn't have a stand for the first couple of months. Toward the end of the chains life I had to adjust it nearly every ride! I now have about 3k on the new chain and clean/lube it every 300miles.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
evilbologna said:
12k, winter in NY ate it alive.
winter, rain & gravel roads are the hardest milage for a chain

·
Registered
28 Posts
My chain is sitting at 18,500m. It's looking alright, but I figure I'll change it and the sprokets at 20. Having the pit bull stand really helps with the lubing, otherwise it'd probably be shot.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
RandyO said:
winter, rain & gravel roads are the hardest milage for a chain
Yeah I cant wait for this winter :'( eh oh well it isn't a HUGE cost, considering it is also my choice to ride through winter when I dont have to.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Mine went at 17k and after 3 yrs. of virtually no maintenance done to it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
a stock chanin is capable of lasting around 20k miles if you keep it clean and oil it. if your only getting 10k miles start OILING your chain.

I now use DID gold X-ring chain-they are great!

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
baldymcb said:
... Having the pit bull stand really helps with the lubing, otherwise it'd probably be shot.
Amen to that. Grunge brush helps ease the pain of chain maintenance too. If it weren't for that combo, my chain would hav e ran dry a year ago. Instead, it gets cleaned and waxed every 600 miles like clockwork, and wiped down and rewaxed if I get caught in the rain for any length of time. 8k on my OEM and it still looks like new, with very little stretch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts