Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my SV in February and just last week I got a letter in the mail from the DMV. It had a copy of the previous owners registration and a copy of the paperwork that was submitted to get the bike in my name. The weird thing is... the previous owner stated that the bike had 42k+ miles on the bike. When I bought it it only had 4,635 miles on it according to the odometer reading. Can the odometers be messed with to adjust mileage and such?

I am hoping that they can't because if they can, I am going to get into touch with the previous owner to verify if they actually put that mileage on the bike. And then see what actions I can take with the dealership and such, I love the bike but I wouldn't of bought it if it had 42k+ miles on it.

Thanks

Mark

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I believe the odometer is on the gauge. Change that with a new one, and you can have 0 miles.

tk

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
also pretty easy to mess up and instead of putting 4200 in the boxes, shifting the numbers too far to the left and putting 42000...

Especially if they have an area for a tenth mile or not depending on the state...

·
Registered
712 Posts
I noticed that when my speedo stopped reading for a few days it didn't clock any of the miles I had ridden during the time that it wasn't reading. If he was scandalous he could have just detached it and road the **** out of it ;D

·
Registered
756 Posts
the difference between a bike with 4200 and 42000 would be fairly apparent in most cases.

it's probably a typo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Similar thing happend when I bought my SV. Previous owner put 81000 instead of 8100 on the title transfer form. It would have been hard to have a 2 year old bike with 80k miles on it. But in NC I had to get a notarized letter stating that the actual odometer reading was x,xxx at the time of sale and that the number on the title was an error. Fairly simple fix. I would check with the seller to make sure an extra 0 didn't get tagged on, and then talk to the people at the DMV as far as what you need to do to correct the mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts