Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my SV in February and just last week I got a letter in the mail from the DMV. It had a copy of the previous owners registration and a copy of the paperwork that was submitted to get the bike in my name. The weird thing is... the previous owner stated that the bike had 42k+ miles on the bike. When I bought it it only had 4,635 miles on it according to the odometer reading. Can the odometers be messed with to adjust mileage and such?

I am hoping that they can't because if they can, I am going to get into touch with the previous owner to verify if they actually put that mileage on the bike. And then see what actions I can take with the dealership and such, I love the bike but I wouldn't of bought it if it had 42k+ miles on it.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
712 Posts
I noticed that when my speedo stopped reading for a few days it didn't clock any of the miles I had ridden during the time that it wasn't reading. If he was scandalous he could have just detached it and road the **** out of it ;D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Similar thing happend when I bought my SV. Previous owner put 81000 instead of 8100 on the title transfer form. It would have been hard to have a 2 year old bike with 80k miles on it. But in NC I had to get a notarized letter stating that the actual odometer reading was x,xxx at the time of sale and that the number on the title was an error. Fairly simple fix. I would check with the seller to make sure an extra 0 didn't get tagged on, and then talk to the people at the DMV as far as what you need to do to correct the mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.