Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out with a few guys from work this weekend and at dinner one of them asked me if I would take him for a ride on my bike. He is from India and says he wants to feel what it's like to be on two wheels again He knows I ride 2 up with my girlfriend all the time so he says he would feel comfortable with it.

He says he doesn't want to ride it without him because it's my only mode of transportation and such a big part of my life. Plus he doesn't have a license or permit to ride.

My question is should I take him on this ride? I don't think I have gear for him because he probably can't fit into my girlfriends stuff so this would be an issue. I would also feel odd with a guy on the back of my bike :-[.

Would you guys take him out for a ride? And if you did, where would you go? A lot of the area around is pretty tight with traffic and traffic lights so I don't know that it would be that enjoyable of a ride for him.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you, the one in control of the bike, don't feel comfortable with another rider being on the bike, then don't ride him.

If you're all for riding him, tell him to get some gear first, since you're also uncomfortable with that.

If you've issues with another man being behind you on your bike, well, don't ride him. I've offered other people (men and women) on my bike in the past...it didn't bother me, unless they were doing something dumb behind me. I am very selective of who's on the bike with me, though...there can be no goofing around.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
meh, the indian guys at work all rode in sandals and tshirts anyway cause that's all they ever wore back home. as far as dude passenger, you can't possibly be that worried about having a guy behind you. otherwise the gym lockerroom would have been traumatizing...

and then you can call him your bithc for the rest of his days since he rode bihtc...

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I adhear to a strict nuts to tire ratio of no more than 1:1 in any vehicle i drive.

Seeing as I already have 2, that leaves no room for more.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume he will want some sort of gear anyways since it's starting to cool down. I think my question here was more about where would you guys take a person for a short ride if you were doing so? And about how long of a ride would you go for?

Also, I believe the gym lockerroom in my high school was pretty traumatizing. But mainly because the guys I had class with would throw your uniform in the urinal if you left it around for more than 10 seconds.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
I assume he will want some sort of gear anyways since it's starting to cool down. I think my question here was more about where would you guys take a person for a short ride if you were doing so? And about how long of a ride would you go for?
where? wherever they wanted, but probably twisties.
how long? however long they're into.

the nice thing about the sv is that there's the handle back there, so no need for him to hold on to you

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
Have a look at any of the 3 videos in post #841 here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631&page=57

He's proabaly used to riding in this sort of traffic, so anything you've got will be a walk in the park. And I think he'd be stunned to find out you have, uh, issues about riding with a guy on the back, but that's more cultural than anything else. Relax and take a larger world view...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I think the U.S. is one the few countries where having 2 guys on a bike is a bad thing.

Go to any Europe, Asian, or African countries, 2 males on a bike is nothing new, heck they do that in parts of Mexico and South America as well.

Actually, in some Asian countries, its illegal for 2 males to be on a bike as thats a large source of drive-bys, burglaries, etc.

The gear thing I can understand. Find a helmet and some gloves and just take him for a ride in the parking lot or something small.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was already thinking that he was comfortable with it because of different cultural norms. I just thought it was a little odd because I've only known him for a little while. I guess if he gets some gear then I'll have no problem taking him out.

He says they don't have any bikes bigger than like 220cc in India so I'm wondering what he'll think of that. When I tell them it's a 650 they wow at that lol. I wonder if I should let them know a lot of people see it as a starter bike :).

·
Registered
842 Posts
Can't believe no one has posted this:

Seriously though, since you have only known him a short time, maybe 15-20 minutes max. Maybe plan it for more right turns so that stops at lights may not be as long. If you are cool with him holding on to you (for safety reasons), work in a longer straight where you can open it up a little and give him something to tell his friends back in India about "oh my gosh the power the bike had" (funny side note, as I was typing that, I said it in my head sounding like Raj from Big Bang Theory).

·
Banned
855 Posts
I have only let two people ride pillion with me, both were riders, so they knew what to expect. But I chopped the pillion pegs off my bike to give it a cleaner look. Now I need a gel battery to fit in the smaller area where I have that 636 shock, ;)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
If any of your buddies ride see if they have gear for him to borrow. I usually just demand they wear a helmet and a leather jacket, but I'll let it slide f it isn't armor. Just gotta be aware of the risk. And make him aware.

If it's someones first ride, I usually stick to 35mph and below for a little bit, and then ask what they want to do. Sounds like he has been on a bike before, so I imagine his comfort level if pretty high.

Still though, like everyone else said, it comes down to your comfort level with a passenger. FWIW I find it a little difficult to take other men, but it's just because on the pillion they tend to be a bit taller than me and that makes the bike feel funny. After five minutes you get used to it though. Also, it's very important you come up with a song to sing together in case you get stopped at a light next to girls. I suggest "Bicycle" by Queen. Trust me, it's fun.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I've had a couple of guys on the back of my bikes and have ridden as a passenger on everything from a Busa to a 125cc scoot down in Mexico (we were running around town picking up parts to fix my BMW)and I've never had nut to butt contact. I really wish I had a pic of me on the back of that little scoot in MX with a gallon of antifreeze in one hand, a bag of parts in the other, and a cig hanging out of my mouth while wearing shorts, flip flops, and a baseball cap and holding on with my legs, just to **** off the safety Nazis on here.

Do what's comfortable for you, but here in the states, with the lawsuit happy culture, I'd say that you should insist on a helmet, jacket, and jeans at a minimum. My guess is your friend has a lot of experience in crazy traffic as either a pilot or passenger and will be a decent pillion.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I was out with a few guys from work this weekend and at dinner one of them asked me if I would take him for a ride on my bike. He is from India and says he wants to feel what it's like to be on two wheels again He knows I ride 2 up with my girlfriend all the time so he says he would feel comfortable with it.

He says he doesn't want to ride it without him because it's my only mode of transportation and such a big part of my life. Plus he doesn't have a license or permit to ride.

My question is should I take him on this ride? I don't think I have gear for him because he probably can't fit into my girlfriends stuff so this would be an issue. I would also feel odd with a guy on the back of my bike :-[.

Would you guys take him out for a ride? And if you did, where would you go? A lot of the area around is pretty tight with traffic and traffic lights so I don't know that it would be that enjoyable of a ride for him.

Ah, you're worried about your manhood being sullied. Don't worry; having a man pressed so closely to your backside won't make you immediately gay.

I suggest you don't do it. You haven't matured enough. Then again, there may be hope for you still. Just ride. You don't need to take him anywhere special; it isn't a date. He'll love being on the bike, no matter where you go.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts