Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im betting this is normal, but my paranoid self still wants to ask this question.... When I first start my bike in netural with the clutch in everything sounds as i remeber it. Today when i let the clutch out i hear a weird kind of chatter/thumping noise. After the bike is warmed up there is no issue. Also it is only with the clutch out in neutral that i hear this, pull the clutch in and noise goes away.. Now keep in mind the bike is fairly new, just getting close to out of burn in (821 miles) and this could very well be that i just dident notice this noise before. Also if it makes any difference when I did the 600 mile service i changed it over to synthetic oil...

Any ideas?

M

·
0 Posts
that makes two of us. Bike sounded clean and throaty when it was new. Now at 641 miles I could definitely hear some valve lashes(?)/chatters coming out of the engine. Plus it back fires unburnt fuel during deceleration. To add insult to injury, suzuki dealer told me I have to buy something called a power commander module to remap my FI. WTF?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not totaly mechanicly inclined, but i dont think that my noise has anything to do with valves... i would think if that were the case pulling the clutch in wouldent change the noise. When i pull the clutch in the noise goes away instantly... i dont know if maybe it is this clutch rubbing thing that everyone has warned me about and shouldent be worried about it or if i should take it to the suzuki dealer...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Noise

I think that the noise is normal....I have a 2005 with 400 miles on it and its made that since it was new. You might want to try to adjust your clutch cable.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i think mine's broken. it goes "vroooom vrooooom" when i twist the right grip. is that supposed to happen? should it be twisting like that? :p :lol:

Y

·
0 Posts
stranger said:
i think mine's broken. it goes "vroooom vrooooom" when i twist the right grip. is that supposed to happen? should it be twisting like that? :p :lol:
LMAO... mine sounds like an angry frog at 7000 rpms in 3rd gear

Y

·
0 Posts
stranger said:
an angry frog? i don't think i've ever run into an angry frog. and would like to keep it that way...
Gets that goofy look in his eye, and his right foot starts twitchin' 8)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys :) figured it was probly normal :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
"Gets that goofy look in his eye, and his right foot starts twitchin"

fyi angry frog is not to be confused with thumper

·
Registered
87 Posts
Clutch plates

Swytch,

I think what your experiencing is cold oil kinda affecting the clutch plates. As you suspected its normal. Different oil may make it react different.

Some of the reponses I see on this forum are borderline humorous/sarcastic. I guess its all in good fun.

Craig
'05 SV650S

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree...it is most likely the clutch plates rattling around in the clutch basket. If it goes away when you put it in gear, I wouldn't worry.

When the bike is in gear, it puts a load on the cluth plates to take up the small clearances between the fingers of the plate and the fingers of the basket. When not in gar...the plates are free to bonce back and forth (in the small clearance) with the engine pulses. That is what make sthe rattle.

If you hold a screw driver handle up to your ear and then touch the tip to the engine...it will work like a stethiscope. If you hold it near the clutch housing you might hear this.

Alternatively, it could be the cam chains. They are on ratcheting adjusters that automatically take up the slack. So if the chain is loose...but not loose enough for the adjuster to ratchet to the next tigher spot, the chains will rattle slightly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
hmm i was told not to go to sythetic oil until at least 2000 miles by the guy at the dealership. He said that the engine will break in better if you dont run synthetic. I will be switching soon. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
dom said:
hmm i was told not to go to sythetic oil until at least 2000 miles by the guy at the dealership. He said that the engine will break in better if you dont run synthetic. I will be switching soon. :)
I'm pretty sure that whole wait-until-after-break-in-for-synthetic thing is a myth. A lot of modern vehicles come from the factory with synthetics and they don't seem to have any trouble breaking in....

I'd say just use the best oil you can afford from the get-go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
lugnut said:
I'm pretty sure that whole wait-until-after-break-in-for-synthetic thing is a myth. A lot of modern vehicles come from the factory with synthetics and they don't seem to have any trouble breaking in....

I'd say just use the best oil you can afford from the get-go.
theyre designed for it.

i've seen one motor not seat the rings properly. it was a custom rebuild and it was given synthetic from day 1. it may well have been a bad build to start with, but I wont risk it in the future.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So the consensus is the noise is normal, and I agree. With clutch pulled in no noise, in neutral with clutch released..slight rattle. My bike does it too...Always has.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts