Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't get the manual with mine so good to know about the 87 with the rising fuel prices!!
I don't think I will be doing any wheelies but thanks for the info!

·
Registered
24 Posts
So...manual recommends 87...I just filled up with 93 (it was my first time on my first bike and LOOOOOVED that it cost $10!). Is 93 a problem?

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
So...manual recommends 87...I just filled up with 93 (it was my first time on my first bike and LOOOOOVED that it cost $10!). Is 93 a problem?
Shouldn't be a problem. The Octane rating is basically the fuel's resistance to combustion. A higher value equals a slower burn meaning you can run a higher compression ratio. Other than that, there really isn't any difference, even with the detergent package. If the engine manufacturers say you can run 87, then you can run 87. Sometimes (an I mean sometimes) deviating too far from the recommendation can cause a decrease in performance.

Try 87, it's cheaper and your engine might run a little better ;).

A more in depth explanation

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you want a short version, here goes:

Run what is recommended for your vehicle, engineers know what will work best.

Long version:

In dealing with Pontiac Grand Prix's, where the GTP version comes standard with a supercharger, I have learned a lot about extracting the most performance from an engine and the effect fuel has. On most high-compression (motorcycles included) or forced induction vehicles, it is a requirement to run high octane, as the air/fuel mixture has an extremely high tendency to pre-detonate, which causes engine knock. The octane rating is a direct function of the fuel's ability to resist pre-detonation. If high octane isn't used, the engine's computer (if it is equipped) will detect pre-detonation (knock) and retard timing and/or call for a richer mixture, hence hurting performance. Frequently the computer can't compensate enough, and pistons are chipped or other bad things happen.

On an engine that was designed to run a lower octane, running a high octane fuel isn't actually optimal. A lower octane fuel generally has a bit more energy per unit volume, and burns easier, faster, and hotter. So you should actually get better gas mileage and power on an SV (or any other vehicle that is it recommended) by running 87 octane (I did) as compared to a higher octane. I'm not sure how they managed to attain the compression the SV has (can't remember it off the top of my head) and still let it run so well on 87, but they did it. Kudos, Suzuki.

I've seen a guy who had a N/A (naturally aspirated) Grand Prix (87 recommended), and by running high octane fuel and quality octane booster, his engine ran quite poorly and performance took a good hit.

Keep in mind there are other things in gasoline than pure hydrocarbons. Some fuel are oxygenated, have detergent packages, ethonal, etc. So effects of these additives could cause an engine to ping/knock on 87, even if it was designed for that rating. Bad gas? Switch to another brand. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I ran 87, then went to 93. Now I'm running 89 because I'm getting better performance and mileage.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Really what is going to be the difference in price. I use 93 because there is less chance of bad gas or missing.
what makes you think you have less chance of bad gas with premium

I think the opposite, storage tanks that are used less have a higher chance of contamination

·
0 Posts
He said that he got an increase in performance switching from 93 TO 87...not the other way around. I run 87 in mine now. Its recommended so thats what I do.

·
Banned
373 Posts
i run cam2 and it preforms way better than 87

·
Banned
373 Posts
but you have to dial it in to your power commander or you'll see that nasty f1 code

·
Registered
529 Posts
II'm not sure how they managed to attain the compression the SV has (can't remember it off the top of my head) and still let it run so well on 87, but they did it. Kudos, Suzuki.
Valve and ignition timing. Advance the timing and you will need higher octane.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.