Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who asked about this recently. It's just a standard 0-ring from Pep Boys auto parts store. The easiest way to get the right size is to ride the bike there, or bring your bar end with you. I forgot to note the size I used. You want a nice fat o-ring that is fairly tight on the bar end. I put a zip tie around it and cut off the end, leaving a little tab to make it easier to slide it out of the space between the grip and the bar end while riding.

ON

OFF

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Very nice... I have been wanting to do this mod for a LONG time... Maybe this post will make get off my fat lazy arse and do it.... ;D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for posting up. I wasn't sure whether you guys slid the o-ring between the bar end and the grip, or if you slid it onto the grip partway(like at an angle). Like others, too lazy to go buy one since I already have a throttle rocker, heh heh.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i haven't done this because there's not a store around to get the catepillar o-ring. i might have to make a trip to pep-boys soon for my cruise control

B

·
0 Posts
Good idea and real simple... Here is a picture of my throttle lock I made for my bike. The bar ends are a little bigger but the wieght seemed to help with the viberation in the bars. Sorry for the big picture I don;t have any software at work to resize it.

Jeff

·
Registered
745 Posts
In case anybody needs it, the Cat part number is 8m-4991. If you get it, it comes in that snazzy yellow color with the Cat logo on the side. ;D

I would also suggest buying a few of them. They do stretch in time. ;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
BigJeff said:
Good idea and real simple... Here is a picture of my throttle lock I made for my bike. The bar ends are a little bigger but the wieght seemed to help with the viberation in the bars. Sorry for the big picture I don;t have any software at work to resize it.

Jeff

how does that work more info :)

B

·
0 Posts
The center twists to lock the throttle grip in place. The actual bar end is actually threaded on the outside of it and the knurled center is tap to thread on the bar end. The Plastic washer is used to aid in locking the grip but allows it to slide to the idle position if you need to make a sudden decel. It is exactly what they are doing with the O-Ring. I have the prints for it somewhere on my PC I will post them once I find them. Works awesome and has a clean look to it.

Jeff

·
Registered
687 Posts
that would be cool, i could use something like that ..

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Went out to look at my bike and didn't even notice before that there was a gap between the bar end and throttle. My thought at the time "Hmm...Didn't even notice there was a gap there until some stranger on the internet told me I could put things in it." :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
In case anybody needs it, the Cat part number is 8m-4991. If you get it, it comes in that snazzy yellow color with the Cat logo on the side. ;D

I would also suggest buying a few of them. They do stretch in time. ;)
If you don't want to buy them from Caterpillar, the o-ring has a standard part number 2-318, and any place that specializes in o-rings will have them. The dimensions are 1" inside dia., 1-3/8" outer dia.
I bought 4 of them for 50 cents.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Your pics don't work... but I did the same thing with the infamous CAT o-ring long ago.. unfortunately it doesn't work so well on my 2nd gen with the R-6 throttle tube... but it worked great on my 99 SV

On:

Off:

For those who asked about this recently. It's just a standard 0-ring from Pep Boys auto parts store. The easiest way to get the right size is to ride the bike there, or bring your bar end with you. I forgot to note the size I used. You want a nice fat o-ring that is fairly tight on the bar end. I put a zip tie around it and cut off the end, leaving a little tab to make it easier to slide it out of the space between the grip and the bar end while riding.

ON

OFF

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
whoah somebody took a ride in the way back machine!

interesting, stranger last logged in in march. I thought he was looooong gone.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If you do this, get a couple of them and keep an extra in your tank bag, because eventually you will move it a little too far and it will be in the ditch somewhere. I left one somewhere on WI 23 a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts