Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a handy summary of the laws for equipment and other things in New York state, figured I'd post it here for anyone else who has ever been curious but only found word of mouth testimony on the web.

http://www.abateny.org/mclaws.html

Safety Helmet Required by Law; Consolidated Laws of New York, Chapter 71, Title III, Article 9, Section 381, 6
State Funded Rider Ed Not Available
Eye Protection Required by law; Laws of N.Y., 381, 7
Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law-
Modulating headlight permitted per Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, 571.108
Passenger Seat Required if carrying a passenger; Laws of N.Y., 1251 (a)
Passenger Footrest Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Age Restriction None
Helmet Speakers Single earphone only; Laws of N.Y., 375, 24-a
Periodic Safety Inspection Required by law
Mirror Left(L) Right(R) One required by law; Laws of N.Y., 381 ,10
Radar Detector No Restriction
Turn Signals Required if manufactured in 1985 or after
Muffler Muffler required; no straight pipes; no removal of baffles; no modification of exhaust system that increases noise beyond exhaust system originally installed. Laws of N.Y., 381, 1(a)
Maximum Sound Level Maximum Allowable:
A-Weighted Sound Levels at Speed: 35 mph or less, 82 dB(A); over 35 mph, 86 dB(A), measured at, or adjusted to, a distance of fifty feet from the center of the lane in which the motorcycle is traveling.
Laws of N.Y., 386
State Insurance Requirements Compulsory Liability (Minimum Limits)(25/50/10) - Minimum limits where death results are 50/100.
Handlebar Height Handle bars or grips cannot be more than the height of the operator's shoulders; Laws of N.Y., 381 ,5
Rider-Education Waiver Skill Test
Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States Yes
Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane Yes; Laws of N.Y., 1252 (d)
Lane Splitting Prohibited; Laws of N.Y., 1252 (b),(c)
Lemon Law Coverage Yes; New York (NY) New York State Dispute Resolution Association

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what happen if you break these ny laws(apply to the bike) with out of state tag?
Don't know, never done it! There was a thread on here about someone getting an equipment violation ticket for his or her license plate with an out of state plate in a different state recently, so I'd imagine it would be similar for New York. Though it's rare that a NY LEO will pull you over for an equipment violation if you're abiding by the laws of the road.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I didn't know ape bars were not legal. I see a couple idiots riding with them ever now and then....

I also didn't know that your headlight was required to be on at all times basically. (not like I have an option to turn it off)

·
Registered
9 Posts
what happen if you break these ny laws(apply to the bike) with out of state tag?
I live in Vermont and work in New York. When I was pulled over on my old GS550e a couple of years ago, I had no speedo, no highbeam indicator, no mirrors, no turn signals, a near bald rear tire, no insurance, and no Vermont state inspection(I was fixing up the bike at the time. Car broke down and I needed to get to work).

The officer told me, "You should not be driving the bike in this condition, and should get it fixed right away. If your bike was registered in New York, you would receive fines for directionals, speedometer, and mirrors."

He asked to see my license and registration, but not insurance. I later found out that if you live out of state, NY police officers are not allowed to ask an out of state driver for insurance, and are only able to fine you for proper equipment on your bike if your bike is registered in NY.

In other words, If I wanted to, I could drive to the VT NY border, remove my signals, lights, horn, mirrors, etc and would still be able to drive in New York without consequence.

On a side note, the helmet laws and moving violations(i.e. riding 2 abreast) are enforced no matter what state your bike is registered in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts