Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a tailbag, and I'm trying to decide on the attachment. One design has nylon webbing going around the tail, with webbing against the paint. If the webbing is tight, how much wear would you expect?

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I used 3M clear paint protector on both sides of the tail (around the edges). It does wonders to reduce abrasion. I got mine from Tankslapper, already cut to fit. No, it's not perfect, but I've grown to accept a certain "collateral damage" to the cosmetics of my bike when necessary to aid function, and if it ever shows wear, it is removable.

That said, my bike just past 23,000kms and looks virtually new. By the way, I ride in every possible weather condition, as well as a little bit of gravel daily!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The bare webbing will mar the finish, no matter how tight you strap it. Engine and road vibrations will get ya...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the 3M stuff will do the trick. I saw packing tape suggested in another thread, but I've seen that stuff yellow and do funny things sitting in the sun. I'm still trying to design this to mount straight to the seat, but it's a large bag and that may not work.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Even be careful with the 3M stuff. I left my saddle bags attached for about a week of riding last summer and it tore through the 3M and rub all the way through the paint on my tail piece. Now I have a black area in the paint about the size of a dime where the plastic shows through the paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts