Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a NYC motorcye rider... Have a few bikes in garages... And used to park on the st by my place. Then I moved to Brooklyn... My drz got stolen in 4 months flat. Wasn't a pretty drz either... So I'm contemplating an SV... Hoping it won't get ripped off. Just thought I'd get some other urban opinions on theft/desirability issues... And I also have some first gen parts for an sv butcoulsnt seem to post in for sale??? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rotor lock & chained to something that won't move.
If they really want your bike they will get enough guys to pick it up and put it into a truck.

(Get a cut resistant chain & lock)

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Which part of Brooklyn? There's been a first gen parked in Bensonhurst on the street for a few good months now and it's still there, not even chained to anything.

Maybe the DRZ was easy to lift. Or it was in demand. I've noticed the 'ruff rydaz' types are getting on more dirt bikes. You can't wheelie an SV and it's not too fast/sexy so maybe it's low on desirability.

·
Registered
842 Posts
...chained to something that won't move....
and make sure the chain does not hang down to the ground. One tip that I've heard is that the thieves will put one handle of a bolt cutter on the ground so they can get more leverage on the other handle. With the chain in the air, they will have to hold both handles and therefore have to fight harder/longer to cut the chain.

Also, don't just through the front wheel. It is relatively easy to pull off the front wheel, and the take the bike leaving the wheel chained to the object. Not too hard to get a replacement wheel, or if they are parting it out, it isn't that big of a loss.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting.... yeah... I had a first gen for a while that was never touched... I'm contemplating picking up a second gen... and using it as my commuter/city bike... always thought the low end torque in the twin was fun. As for wheelies... you can wheelie an SV... :naughty:
Either way I had my DRZ chained with a huge Krypto lock and chain... to a post through the rear wheel... then covered with the cover and locked... and when I went back there was no chain, no wheel, no nothing left... lol... they were pretty thorough.
No more DRZ for me on the streets of BKLYN... perhaps this SV will suffice.
Still have to sell off all the old parts I had for my first gen one that I found in the closet.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Getting your sh1t taken always sucks. The chain was probably resting on the ground, and, as snlsmith said, they use that as leverage for bolt cutters. I parked my bike a few times up against a street sign, then wrapped a chain tight around it and the frame. Probably lowers the risk, but then you'll get a ticket for parking on the sidewalk. No sympathy from the city.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts