Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for NYC show on Saturday, specifically to check out 2 bikes- Augusta Brutale and Guzzi Brea 1100. I know, they are 2 totally different bikes, but they are both very naked and sexy nonetheless :)
I have to admit I fell in love with Breva- the most comfortable bike I've ever set on. It' pretty heavy though, but as per reviews, it rides and handles very nicely. I know Moto Guzzi was in deep trouble not so long ago and consequently was purchased by Piaggio (together with Aprilia) and then they came out with some nice models like Breva 1100. I wonder what reliably of Guzzis is and how expensive they are to maintain/repair. Would appreciate any knowledge on that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great show.. the best part is getting to sit on a hundred different bikes that I'd otherwise only read about in a magazine. The choppers were really creative too, I thought. The only downside was how insanely crowded it was on saturday. Here's my impressions on the bikes (ergonomics wise):

-honda: Really wanted a 600RR for my next bike, but wow, the seat is a plank, the tank is huge and boxy, and the bike feels heavy. All hondas remind me of some giant robot out of a japanese anime. Seemed the best fit and finish wise though, shifting is very smooth.

-yamaha: The R6 is completely hideous, especially from the front, like some kind of wasp. The shorty exhaust is cool, but the bike seemed a little wide. They are billing it as the "most advanced sportbike on the planet". Ridiculously expensive and probably ridiculously fast. Seating position less aggressive than you'd think. The R1 also surprisingly heavy to lean around.

-kawasaki: Kawasaki was my least favorite manufacturer going into the show.. my friends all hate them for various reasons. After sitting on various ninjas I'd now buy one in a heartbeat. All of them were super comfortable, easy to get on, felt real light to heft around, etc. Every model from the 250 up fit me perfectly. Also sat on the ZX-14 (busa competitor) and was completely shocked how low, comfortable, and light it felt.

-suzuki: I don't really like the 2nd gen SV, the HUD seems like a step back and the boxy look doesn't do it for me. The FI probably makes it all worthwhile, though. Also sat on the GS500, one of the other bikes I was considering before my SV.. and I'm glad I didn't. Felt clunky and tall, and it seems like every part on it is the least expensive possible. As for the GSXRs, what can I say.. a GSX-R600 will be my next bike in a few years from now. They aren't the most comfortable, or the fastest anymore, or the cheapest, but there's just something about them I love. The hayabusa was surrounded by a huge crowd of people, but when I finally got to sit on it, it sucked. It feels almost as heavy as a crusier, the controls are awkward, seating position is like lying flat on your face.

-ducati: ducati puts their bikes on rear stands so you can't lean them, but I don't really see what the hype is about. The 999R is cool, but not 18K cool. They do have the best "interface", and the shifter/brakes/clutch were all super smooth. The tank is also very intrusive, it sticks directly into you and would probably hurt my back after a few hours. They do make a lot of cool naked V-twin bikes though, if that's your thing.

-buell: was not impressed by buell. The seating position on the firebolt is so far forward it's scary. You sit so far forward on the front wheel that I felt like I was riding a unicycle. The bike did feel pretty light, but the shifter felt like it was full of sand. It's very obvious after sitting on the japanese bikes that the fit and finish of the buell is lacking.. they seem to be 10-15 years behind.

-bmw: awesome single sided swingarms, but oh my god, the heaviest bikes I've ever sat on. I've never understood their complicated model naming scheme so I don't know which bikes I was on. The one that shocked me the most was a naked bike about the size of my SV. I hopped on and my jaw dropped in shock as I tried to stand up what felt like 2000 pounds. bmw does have the coolest controls by far.. having a blinker on each side is great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts