Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me how to prevent my hands (usually throttle but happens to both) from becoming numb. Just returned to biking and don"t seem to remember having this issue before. Love my SV and can't get off it but it's a bitch breaking with that feeling in your hands.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
1. Rotate Clutch & Brake lever so they are at a comfortable angle

2. Relax, make sure you are not supporting your weight with your arms, grip tank with legs and hold yourself up with your back.

3. Heavier Bar Ends

4. Bar Snake

5. Better grips.

6. get used to it....... it is somewhat normal I have found to have some numbing after awhile.

·
Registered
238 Posts
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=40627.0

Try gripping the fuel tank with the inside of your thighs....especailly on decel.  Concentrate on keeping your wrists as straight as possible. If you've developed the habit of riding with your wrists down, chances the muscles in your forearms are constricting the flow of blood to your hands. I had this problem when I switched from the stock bars to the SM1 bars.  Takes some getting used to but it works.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The above are all great suggestions.

The adjusting the brake and clutch handles did the trick for me. Plus I also notice if I am off the bike fore any extended period of time I feel it.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
not sure, but I think its at least partly a muscle strength issue.  It used to bother me a LOT more when I first started riding than it does now.  Or maybe I've just found the right positioning through trial and error without realizing it.

I just shake my hands out every once in a while, which seems to help a lot.  throttle lock on the throttle makes it a piece of cake to take your right hand off the grip for a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Muscle memory. Ride all the freaking time, day and night. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The more I ride these days, the less I see it. When I first started riding, doing nothing but 40-60min trips on the weekend, it was really bad at times. Now I am riding to school, making two 30min trips a day. On the weekend, I take 2 hour rides and have nothing. I did notice I hold myself up with my back more.

Moving around a bit really helps too. Make sure you are not gripping the bars too hard. When it rains or am in really heavy traffic, I notice some numbness. I can almost always get it to go away just my having a far lighter grip on the bars.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Peter said:
Can anyone explain to me how to prevent my hands (usually throttle but happens to both) from becoming numb. Just returned to biking and don"t seem to remember having this issue before. Love my SV and can't get off it but it's a B**** breaking with that feeling in your hands.
new bike or used, I had to do a carb sync in between schedule,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also,  If it's mostly your fingers that are numb...

if pinkie, ring and middle fingers, you may be putting to much pressure on the outside of your palm (ulnar nerve).  the ulnar nerve will cause a little numbing across the back of your wrist also.

if first and second finger, the pressure may be on the middle to thumb side of your palm (medial (sp) )nerve.

I notice once in a while, some of my fingers go numb.  I have to try to keep the pressure off my palm.  For me, I can always tell when that is the problem, because I've had surgery there and the scar gets a little tender if I have too much pressure on if for a long time.

Wendy

·
Registered
787 Posts
drive with your feet on the handle bars, there problem solved, lol j/k i had this problem too i thought it was cuz i was a fat ass, but after riding for a while i found that if i kept my wrist straight, or leaned on the tank a little i took the pressure off, also if you work out do some wrist weight lifting and you'll never go numb again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I hate it when people don't do a final reply after getting advice or prior to installing that mod everyone was wondering about so here's what I did. Adjusted front brake lever to a better angle. Seems to help, both hands, Don't know why? Have always tried to take weight off my hands (something I do from cycling), maybe I'm just getting better and more relaxed. Haven't had time to purchase new grips but I do think I'll purchase a throttle rocker. I've heard good things about them, they're cheap and go on easy. What more do want. Oh the foot thing, feels really unstable in hard left handers over 6 grand. Thanks again!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Get the low seat from Suzuki. Similar option to raising the bars, but easier and cheaper! Assuming you have an S model!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts