Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
"he lost the tip of his thumb just behind his finger nail on his left hand. Looked weird just sitting on the counter in a BIO bag in a bucket of ice. Dont know if they are going to attach it back or not.

He was cleaning the chain on his bike with the engine running and the rag got sucked up in the sproket and then pulled his thumb up with it. Ouch !!"

I um... thought he was smarter than that. :-[

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah I don't know why anyone would clean anything with the motor running, much less the chain. I hope they can reattach it or make a wicked prosthetic though. Maybe attach an allen set?

·
Registered
836 Posts
wonderjosh said:
I um... thought he was smarter than that.  :-[

I always wondered what would happen if my thumb got caught up in the sprocket while the engine was running....

wait....hold on....

Actually I never thought about cleaning the chain with the engine running.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Wow... 10+ pages of e-love and well wishes for Nudist on his local moto-board...

Sucks about him being left handed and losing the tip of that thumb...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed a lot of the older guys (my dad and his friends) clean the chain with the motor running. Just a quick way of cleaning the chain thouroughly without trying to spin and wipe at the same time...

He's been doing it for years and theres never been a problem, so nudist was just distracted or something....

·
Registered
7 Posts
We'll be sure to insult these dubious posters if they make a mistake. Motorcycles are dangerous and some people would laugh at you if you got into an accident and call motorcycling itself a big mistake (more than half of the american public). How is that any different than this?

·
Registered
836 Posts
stesta5074 said:
We'll be sure to insult these dubious posters if they make a mistake. Motorcycles are dangerous and some people would laugh at you if you got into an accident and call motorcycling itself a big mistake (more than half of the american public). How is that any different than this?
It's just simply never occured to me to clean the chain with the engine on...seems like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've seen it done, but always with the chain guard still on, and usually with a grunge brush or something similar, not a rag.

Either way... OUCH!

I hope they can re-attatch it. O_O

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Yes, it was a bad idea but we all make mistakes... I know I've made my share.  
The dude got hurt, now's not the time to bash him.  

I truely hope you make the best recovery possible Nate!!  

I'd like to send him a card... does anyone have an address?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I feel bad for the guy I really do... I hope he's doing okay, but I mean, come on.. you gotta give him a hard time about it, anyone with common sense would know better than to do that... although this isn't the first story about chain cleaning mishaps that I've read/heard about.

anyhoo, I'm sure he'll be alright and will have learned a little something from the experience.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about this.

Nate is a good kid, that just seems to have a lot of bad luck.

Tell him DougZ said stay strong and heal well. Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I truly do feel for him and wish him all the best. Really - I do.

However - I don't care HOW long you get away with something like that. That's all it is - luck. Eventually it runs out - and the penalty is far too severe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Damn I hope nate recovers soon, I met him at the rally and he is a great guy. to all those who are bashing him. I think you have done some stupid stuff in your life so shut the hell up. If you have nothing good to say don't say anything. The guy is in the hospital and lost part of his finger, no time to bash.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Everyone does something in their life that they later re-think and go "man, why the hell did i do that?!". Let's focus on the guy's pain and try to be there for him and not ADD to it.

Best wishes, get well soon man.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Good luck, nate, and a quick recovery.

·
Registered
836 Posts
PGHRIDER said:
Damn I hope nate recovers soon, I met him at the rally and he is a great guy. to all those who are bashing him. I think you have done some stupid stuff in your life so shut the hell up. If you have nothing good to say don't say anything. The guy is in the hospital and lost part of his finger, no time to bash.
Who's bashing him? Who's claiming they never messed up?

Maybe you should just give Nate your sympathy/encouragement and quit trying to be the face of moral authority in this thread?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
Who's bashing him? Who's claiming they never messed up?

Maybe you should just give Nate your sympathy/encouragement and quit trying to be the face of moral authority in this thread?
No kidding, cripes almighty.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts