Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am getting started and want to buy an SV. I am a new rider, but don't own a bike yet. I like the look of the SV. So what are the goods and bars of owning an SV? 650 be 1000. I really like the naked bile over the S. Give me all the details.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Before you get flamed... let me recommend the 650. Even on that, be careful. I've totally had power sneak up on me, and the twin takes a bit of getting used to on engine breaking. Gear up. Be careful. Have fun. Welcome aboard. :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi guys. I am getting started and want to buy an SV. I am a new rider, but don't own a bike yet. I like the look of the SV. So what are the goods and bars of owning an SV? 650 be 1000. I really like the naked bile over the S. Give me all the details.
Had to read the post twice (spelling)...

If this is your first bike the 650 will be all you need...

Take the MSF if you have not already...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Motorcycle Safety Foundations class. Well worth it. google it, and sign up.
+1. Well worth the money and learned a lot that I didnt already know. Did it over a weekend. Summer is not the best time to do it in AZ though. I was soaked after each day. lol

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Welcome.

I did mine in torrential rain and 50mph winds from the remnants of a hurricane that came through.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before you get flamed... let me recommend the 650. Even on that, be careful. I've totally had power sneak up on me, and the twin takes a bit of getting used to on engine breaking. Gear up. Be careful. Have fun. Welcome aboard. :D
I'm starting to engine break. My SV is my first bike so I'm curious, what are you referring to when you say engine breaking takes some getting used to? Anything I need to be aware of in particular?

Ridesyeti

·
Registered
277 Posts
the twin's engine braking is just more intense than say a typical i-4.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'm starting to engine break. My SV is my first bike so I'm curious, what are you referring to when you say engine breaking takes some getting used to? Anything I need to be aware of in particular?

Ridesyeti
I'm guessing you don't know the term "engine braking" -- it's how much the bikes wants to slow down when you roll off the throttle. With the SV, it's pretty dramatic.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm guessing you don't know the term "engine braking" -- it's how much the bikes wants to slow down when you roll off the throttle. With the SV, it's pretty dramatic.
More so when you down shift while coming to stop thus using less brakes...

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The Sv was my first bike too....(been like 1 month so far) I recommend the 650 cause it has enough power for you. It's a really good bike to learn on....Do yourself a favor a take the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSF) Learn the basics and stuff.

As well for engine braking....It's not really difficult, at least to me, think is pretty simple. I you ever driven a stick shift car, is the same using the engine to slow down the vehicle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yea, my comment was just the first few times it really caught me by surprise. The twin really slows you down quick. Much more intense than say a stick shift car when you down shift (my only previous experience down shifting aside from the 125cc eliminator i rode in the MSF). Just be mindful when you down shift or close the throttle completely while in gear, the twin has a very abrupt reaction if you're not careful bout it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts