Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know i recently asked about clutch issues, but i'm turning to you now about a starter / battery issue. My bike will not start. headlight is on, aftermarket Vapor gauge is on, i hear a click when i hit my starter button, but no turn over. I put a new battery in it this afternoon and left it on the charger (1.5amp charger) for about 2 hours. Disconnected the charger, still will not start. Turns over but won't start. I'm thinking that my starter is (for some reason) drawing way too much off of the battery. Thoughts? tricks? suggestions? trying to get this thing running by tomorrow for the rally!!

thanks
Tim (threesick)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I didn't have a gen1, but the first thing that came to mind when Tim told me was his R/R. Anyone else?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Even with a faulty R/R the bike should turn over if the battery is at full charge and nothing else was wrong.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Even with a faulty R/R the bike should turn over if the battery is at full charge and nothing else was wrong.
Shows what I know >_> This guy has to be at the Rally tomorrow! Can anyone help us fix his bike?

Should spark plugs be the next thing on the list to check?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
after the new battery, does it turn over fast and no start or sounds like its struggling to turn over?

whats the voltage at the battery? yes, the new one.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If the bike cranks but the motor won't fire, then either you're not getting fuel or spark to the cylinders. With your first battery, only the relay clicked with no cranking so the battery was too weak. With the new battery charged, you get cranking but no firing. Do you have a meter? As Duc995 stated, you don't need the R/R to fire up the motor if the battery and everything else is operating properly. You should meter the new battery, should show ~12.5-13VDC. I would pull the plugs and check for spark, or at least the rear plug which is easier to get to. Also see if the plug is wet with fuel. Perhaps your sidestand switch is acting up. A faulty sidestand switch would allow the motor to crank but not start because it interrupts power to the coils. You need to narrow down the problem to either the fueling system or ignition/electrical.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I'm a bit confused. With the new battery the motor cranks but doesn't fire? But, you can push start or use a car battery and the motor will crank and fire? Does the new battery crank the motor? Where are you jumping with the car battery, at the bike battery?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just sat the new battery on the 1.5amp charger overnight and the bike cranked right up this morning. Hope to see you guys up at the rally tonight!! Thanks for all your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts