Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I generally buy and sometime sell on the ebay platform. As a buyer I'm usually used to paying the price that's set and ok with it. I started noticing in 2019 that they started adding taxes on the buyers total invoice. No big deal since uncle Sam gotta get paid, right? Well today i sold something and they charged me tax as well. So how does that work? You're getting the tax from the buyer and seller on the same product. Then they charge you an ebay fee then a paypal fee, which is the same company. Then at the end of the month, you're sent another invoice to pay for the transactions for the month as a seller. I used to love ebay but I'm really feeling that the greed is now on an all new level with this company. I hate to not use a company I used to love but with their prices, these days I try to sell on the forums and craigslist where as people we can come to a fair price agreement. Now we just have to find another way to avoid these outrageous shipping prices...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I completely agree. I stopped selling items on Ebay years ago because it was becoming so expensive. With Facebook Classifieds and Craigslist being a free service, you would think Ebay would want to be more competitive. I used to buy a lot from Ebay but now I'm lucky to buy something once a year.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
eBay has also been largely taken over with cheap Chinese crap that drop ships from overseas. It used to be the place to go for a good selection of used stuff....now it's cheap new junk. I still occasionally find something I need there, but it's usually a cheap cell phone accessory or something.

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
i sell a fair bit on ebay. they didnt charge you tax. they charged the buyer (so it showed up in your "total") and kept it to pay the state (so it didn't show up in your net)

·
Registered
118 Posts
ive sold a few things on ebay and like they charge me a month after and theres no explanation they just dip in and take the money.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You pay your fees monthly, after the fact, is that what you're talking about? Should be pretty easy to find out what the charges are.

·
Registered
118 Posts
not sure my records are sketchy, seems like i was charged twice. i know what i was charged.but theres no explanation, theres no paper trail

·
Registered
140 Posts
Should be able to view detailed invoicing for the previous 4 month period, line by line. It's a little tricky to get there, but account settings->seller account->all account activity --- then at the bottom of the screen choose 'customize view' and set a date range to see everything.

·
Registered
118 Posts
followed your instructions, thanks. ebay will only go back 4 months, so theres nothing for me to check. but i did see more info on what they charge. in the future i will watch them more closely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also see that Craigslist is now charging $5 to post a vehicle for sale. While I have had good luck selling on C.L, I also get bombed with scammers and unwanted emails, I'm not going to pay to be inconvenienced. Looks like Facebook classified might be a better alternative to C.L and Ebay.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I also see that Craigslist is now charging $5 to post a vehicle for sale. While I have had good luck selling on C.L, I also get bombed with scammers and unwanted emails, I'm not going to pay to be inconvenienced. Looks like Facebook classified might be a better alternative to C.L and Ebay.
I think CL is charging to clean up the spam and sexbots. That lucrative scam that required you to post thousands of times a day with a script is not so lucrative when it costs you $5-$10k to do it. Most people selling a car are not going to be held back from posting over a $5 fee. Autotrader is like $30 or $40.

Fakebook will exclude you from lots of potential buyers, roughly half the population doesn't use that crap. CL and Autotrader will show up in google/yahoo/bing search results, and don't require an account to browse. Fakebook classified ads will not.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think CL is charging to clean up the spam and sexbots. That lucrative scam that required you to post thousands of times a day with a script is not so lucrative when it costs you $5-$10k to do it. Most people selling a car are not going to be held back from posting over a $5 fee. Autotrader is like $30 or $40.

Fakebook will exclude you from lots of potential buyers, roughly half the population doesn't use that crap. CL and Autotrader will show up in google/yahoo/bing search results, and don't require an account to browse. Fakebook classified ads will not.
At first I was angry about the fee, then I thought about how it's cleaning up the page and getting rid of the scammers. before there were 100's of pages to go through, now there's maybe four or five pages to go through when shopping...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts