Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an 03 SV650S and it shifts very poorly. Very Notchy, lots of effort required to shift. Sometimes I get false neutrals between 5 and 6th. The bike has ~5-6 k miles on it. Has had its oil changed on time. I took it in for its service interval last sat. to Suzuki of Oakland. They did the clutch locknut adjustment. The shifting felt better for a day, but now its as clunky and notchy as before...

Any ideas?

atek3

·
Registered
177 Posts
dmroeder said:
how's the oil level?
He asks because overfilled oil can make the shifting feel worse. And by overfilled I mean at the full line. Weird I know, but I dropped mine from the top line to in the middle and my shifting felt (and feels) much better.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
False neutrals between 5th and 6th are common with this motor. That clears up a lot after additional mileage - but never fully disappears.

Make sure the shifter linkage is tight and well lubed. Slop there can equal uneven shifting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
atek3 said:
Hi, I have an 03 SV650S and it shifts very poorly.  Very Notchy, lots of effort required to shift.  Sometimes I get false neutrals between 5 and 6th.  The bike has ~5-6 k miles on it.  Has had its oil changed on time.  I took it in for its service interval last sat. to Suzuki of Oakland.  They did the clutch locknut adjustment.  The shifting felt better for a day, but now its as clunky and notchy as before...
That seems strange that the adjustment of the clutch made it feel better for a day, then back to bad. Perhaps something slipped or stretched? Check your clutch freeplay and see where it is.
Regards,
mikemo

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe I was only imagining the improved shift to mentally justify the gouging at the stealership.

atek3

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
atek3 said:
maybe I was only imagining the improved shift to mentally justify the gouging at the stealership.

atek3
I think more likely they quickly sprayed down your shift linkage and got the linkage working freel, temporarily, instead of taking it apart and really cleaning it, I don't complain when my dealer spends 2 hours doing a service, it's more than an oil change

the shift linkage is probably the mechanical part on the bike that takes the most abuse, and the most unprotected environment

one of the biggest reasons I am thinking of having my engine torn down soon, is cause over 120k miles, I have replaced the linkages a couple times, but now the shift shaft itself should be replaced.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too have an 03 with similar milage and have noticed the exact same problem.  I thought it was just my shifting at first but noticed it was only really happening between 5'th and 6'th.  what is the best way to clean and lube the shift linkage?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts