Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first SV a week or so a go, a purdy red 01. She was not in a very nice state however so after blasting up and down the road, a general clean up/service was in order. However once I got the front end apart, I found the steering head has a definite notch when turned to the middle.

I hadn't noticed this before when riding it. Admittedly though, I haven't been able to get the front end jacked up to test it until now. My inclination is just to leave it. I plan to do a Gixxer pogo stick swap sometime early/mid next year and think I could just leave it till then.

Its also been suggested that I could rotate the bearing race (which, I assume is what has the dents in it) so that the notched point is out of the steering range.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I'd just change it or pay someone too. It's little things like that, that become a distraction and dangerous.

You could rotate the race, but you would have to remove it first. At that point you may as well put new ones in.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Depends upon how much riding you plan to do before the front end swap. It's only going to get worse. Once a race is removed, you need to replace. Same for bearings that have to be pressed out or hammered out. They are deformed slightly during the removal process.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined it's not very difficult to punch out the old race and press in a new one. I've done it with a hammer, punch (screw driver) to get it out and a block of wood and a frame slider to hammer a new one in.

Even if you are planning to replace I'd just order the new parts and fix it. Safety. Besides it will give you a chance to practice first. You could even go ahead and dremmel the notch in the steering head bearing seat in preparation for the race you're going to need for the GSXR mod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts