Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

On a tour in italy and just noticed my chain aint that tight :S Its about 2.5 inches loose/moves up and down.
I can drive with it like that, just a bit uncomfortable. Is it bad for the bike if I do another 700-800km with it like that?

Don't exactly have a huge wrench to loosen the wheel with me..

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
You'll be fine. Just hit up a shop if it really bothers you. Auto parts stores have tool rental for free in some spots in the US, not sure about italy.

That slack is what most people run on their race bikes. It won't hurt the bike.

A slightly loose chain is waaayy better for the bike than a slightly over tight chain.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up - I have the toolkit, but no leverage. I would need some sort of extension in order to be able to loosen the wheel and tighten it again.
Anyway, planned my trip, just over 500km through italy, austria and Switzerland :)
Happy Days

Why do race bikes have more slack?

Cheers
Max

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
Thanks for the heads up - I have the toolkit, but no leverage. I would need some sort of extension in order to be able to loosen the wheel and tighten it again.
Anyway, planned my trip, just over 500km through italy, austria and Switzerland :)
Happy Days

Why do race bikes have more slack?

Cheers
Max
you shouldn't really. There is a handle in the toolkit that you can attach to the wrench. That should give you enough. don't forget to pull the safety-pin out.

race bikes have more slack because they're interested in everything spinning freely and not interested in whether the wear is quicker than usual (replace parts often, unlike street where people try to run things for as long as reasonable)

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
A cotter pin or something similar used to prevent the axle nut from backing out. you need to remove this before loosening the axle nut, and you should replace it with a new one.

Some like to use this style of pin. Its re-usable, so you don't need a new one each time

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
can you make that pic a little bigger? it's kind of hard to see. :roflmao:

actually, i think the 08 and up models have a self locking nut with no cotter pin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts