Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Yeah, I found out afterward of signing up here, that is mostly a 650 based sight. But I stayed anyway. ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another SV1K rider here.

I visit this site alot 'cause my wife has a SV650. This is a great site for practical technical info.

Heinz

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm a 1000 rider allso I had a 650 when I joined this site and still would if not for a stupid kid in a car. I liked my 650 but I realy like my 1000.

·
Registered
935 Posts
For all you 1k guys, do you feel that the handling of the 1k is any less agile than the 650?

Persoanlly ive never had a chance to hop on a 1k so I dont know. If it is less agile, does the power increase make up the difference?

·
OberKommandant
6,133 Posts
It's definitely a trade off that you make. The 1k is heavier and that makes it harder to throw around in the twisties, it's more work to transition from a left into a right or vice versa. However, you can make up the time on the straights with the extra power. Personally I have more fun on the track with the 650 and that's what I intend to get for a dedicated track bike, but I love my 1k on the street.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having owned and ridden both, I love the 1000. The power out weighs the weight issue (pun intended). If you dump the big stock cans you save 15 - 20 lbs. According to Suzuki, the weight difference is only about 50 lbs to start and with a few mods narrows the gap even more. I have found that the 1000 corners very well for me. May be my riding style, better stock suspension and the pilot sport tires that come stock, but I think the 1000 handles very well.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Im at a crossroads right now, either look into a bigger bike for the street as I do not race or do track days, or put money into the 650 and make it a knife in the twisties.

I think im gonna build the 650 that way I can buy a not so practical bike for the next purchase. ;)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
Having owned and ridden both, I love the 1000. The power out weighs the weight issue (pun intended). If you dump the big stock cans you save 15 - 20 lbs. According to Suzuki, the weight difference is only about 50 lbs to start and with a few mods narrows the gap even more. I have found that the 1000 corners very well for me. May be my riding style, better stock suspension and the pilot sport tires that come stock, but I think the 1000 handles very well.
yeah, I found out the weight difference of the stocks cans versus aftermarket as well. Ecah stock cans weigh 10 lbs for a total of 20 lbs. Each of my Yosh RS-3 Titanium cans weigh4 lbs each, for a total of 8 lbs. That 12 lbs savings is good and easy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You think there are not a lot of 1000's here, try being, seamingly, the only one on a naked 1000.  But hey, we are in the SV and Bike family none the less.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a naked 1000 allso.

·
Registered
335 Posts
1 more 1K here. I got my 06 more than a month ago. Poor thing, it is getting a complete work over though, tough to do when is brand new. It is my superbike project for next season! I should be posting stuff about it soon, so I can fill a few things up in this forum. I have the 05 GSX-R750 front end on it already. My spare cylinders are out getting punched out to +2mm and cams are on the way also. I have found that 1Ks will handle really really well with a bit of set up. The weight is up from the 650, but there is a bunch of weight savings to be had on the 1Ks though. I think stone stock and full tank of fuel the bike was about 475, this is much more than the 650. Our Supersport prepped 650s normally come in at about 385. Some one mentioned making time on the straights with the 1000, but a ton of time should be made coming out. 1ks will accel like nobodys business stock and will easily spin up the rear with a few mods.
-ms

·
OberKommandant
6,133 Posts
Hey schmit, what are some of the things you're doing to lose weight? Obviously the exhaust, anything else relatively cost effective?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well the exhaust is huge obviously. I am putting on an M4 with ti midpipe and can. I am also swapping to YTZ10S battery from a 600rr Honda. The rear brake rotors are also quite heavy and will likely be replaced with a Galfer Wave Rotor. I have a small Brembo rear caliper that will also go on. A great deal of things are race related but can be done on s astreet machine if wanted. I will strip all street realted lights, switches and blah blah blah. Removal of the pair valve system (I block them off actually in the cylinder head and remove absolutely everthing else) and then I place a simple aluminum cover over the valve covers. I am also working on a set of 16.5 Marvic wheels but I am holding off until the motor is completed. You can also remove the decompressors form the cams and use the scissor gear elimination. The OEM clip ons and end weights also get tossed. In the past we have also used the Barnett cryo metal clutch plates. This really makes a motor spool up quick. I am pretty sure doing the manual clutch conversion is also lighter. Well I guess the answer to your question about cost effective stuff is pretty mixed and very related to full race preparation.

-MS

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.