Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get my SV HORN to function properly for a long time now...
Two times now I've pinned-down what I thought were the issues, (one, melted connector...

20190919_171107.jpg

.....and one time, cracked wire insulation)... both times the horn WORKED AGAIN... and now it doesn't.
Again.
The headlight doesn't dim... the bike seems to be putting out enough voltage...

An easy [lazy] way out would be to simply run a direct line to the battery, via a relay, and give the horn it's own prissy way.

I hate Electrical

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
My horn switch contacts got a little carbon'd up from me tooting the horn. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and a little schmear of dielectric grease and I've been GTG for a while now.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Heh. Once I found the horn wasn't working and I investigated, only to find that my horn had fallen off the bike entirely!

I hope that isn't your case.

Seems like it's time to get a meter or test light out and start poking around.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeeeahhh... I've BEEN there, went through the entire harness with an ohmeter previously... something I'm still missing

·
Registered
654 Posts
Could the horn itself be faulty? If you give it voltage, does it beep? Somewhere along the trail it either loses power or the horn gave up the will to honk...

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
It is possible to basically break every strand of wire but one somewhere and it will ohm out good, and show 12V at the far end but it cannot carry the current load required to sound the horn. There's a neat tool to test for that very simply, but in lieu of the tool you can do a voltage drop test with your meter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts