Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the normal operating Temp for a stock bore First Gen SV? What's hot, or overheat?

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Clymer manual states the T-stat is to open at 180 deg. and if the coolant system reaches 239 deg. then the idiot light :eek: will come on. It doesn't say anything about what the 'norm' would be. I'd figure probably around the 200-205 mark, just a guess.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I've explained this a bunch of times, but here it is again. You will note the location of the temperature sensor. It senses coolant temperature as it leaves the radiator going to the engine. The thermostat is in the head on the inlet side of the radiator. The two devices see different temperatures. The engine is OK to operate as long as the fluid going to it is at or below 239 deg. F. The temperature of the fluid going to the engine is not an indication of the coolant temperature in the engine. Once you see the fan start then the system is starting to work a bit hard. Nothing to worry about in hot weather or when stopped in traffic. Once you see the light it's time to stop, let the bike cool off and start looking for troubles.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I tried searching for a while with different phrases trying to find someone talking about a normal riding operating temperature for the SV.

I just installed an Auto Meter Water Temp Guage. I was riding the bike in 40 degree F weather and the bike never got above 150 or 160. I did let the bike idle in the driveway until the fan kicked on and that was around 180 degrees.

So my main question is. Is 150 or 160 degrees OK riding operating temp?

Any Yauger, you are talking about how you are not seeing the real motor water temp because the sending unit is outside of the motor. Are there other ways to see the actual internal water temp? Different method of sensing that?

G

·
if your gauge is hooked at termostat housing good operating temperature on track is in mid 80's.up to mid 90's is still ok.termostat opens at 82.all in Celsius.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much my friend Zoran! I would have called you but I'm in Japan working!

We should have a "Ask Zoran" Forum ;)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Yes, you can, as Zoran pointed out, if you can find a way to install the sensor in the engine jacket you can see what that operating temperature is. The other way is to install the sensor immediately downstream (on the radiator side) from the thermostat. When the thermostat opens you will see the temperature spike. This is close to operating temperature. Sitting static one of those infrared sensors of a contact thermometer will give you a good idea if you point it at the radiator close to the thermostat when the thermostat opens. Once the fan is running you can be certain that the thermostat is no longer cycling.

The purpose of a temperature gauge in liquid cooled engines is to tell you how the cooling system is functioning. As you noticed, around town in cold weather the temperature will fluctuate. The colder the day and the lower the load and the less stop and go, the more the fluctuation. This tells you the system is functioning properly (as long as the thermostat isn't shot). Contact thermometers are the best way to spot a leaking or failed thermostat.

G

·
Andy,sensor is there.it is right on termostat housingwhere hot coolant comes out of engine.this is what triggers light in gauges.it does not have readout to tell what temp is at any time and that is why we replace it with aftermarket unit.
the one on radiator is just fan trigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts