·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much searching, I have finally found a clean SV650 in my
Area and price range. It is an S model though, and I
Would like to convert it to an N using as many stock
Parts as possible. Can somebody give me an idea of what
To look for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
How much of an N do you want it to be?
Just the round headlight?
Headlight and bars?

For just headlight, look for a naked headlight (7") and the fork clamps & brackets.
For bars, you could either have your top triple drilled or you could look for a naked triple tree (upper and lower+stem) to convert and the bars. If going with the bars, also look for longer brake lines + throttle and clutch cables to account for the change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to do it in stages, starting with th bars. I'm goin
To use the upper clamp from an N model with a super bike
Bar. Wil the gauges mount the same? Is there a difference
Between the N and S gauges? Don't want any surprises half
Way through the project lol.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Gauges will not mount the same, they are not the same.
If you're looking to start with bars then plan on doing the lines/cables at the same time.
If you're just doing bars/lines/cables first then you don't need to worry about gauges right now, although you may find that the bars hit the fairing when going to full turn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Doing the same thing. So mayaswell ask here.

Will a wiring loom from an N connect straight up to my S loom and then easily into a headlight?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Will a wiring loom from an N connect straight up to my S loom and then easily into a headlight?
S models have a different sub-harness than Naked models. At least for 1st gen. Not sure about 2nd. Not sure what gen you're referring to, and not sure why you'd need to swap the looms/harness if you're just going naked.
Not enough info to clearly answer the question.

·
Registered
57 Posts
S models have a different sub-harness than Naked models. At least for 1st gen. Not sure about 2nd. Not sure what gen you're referring to, and not sure why you'd need to swap the looms/harness if you're just going naked.
Not enough info to clearly answer the question.
Sorry. First gen sv650s. Going Naked.
I would have an extremely large amount of excess loom if I stuck with the S harness. Where would I hide all this extra harness without it looking a mess? Tuck it behind a fly shield? Would rather not. I want it to be as clean as possible. I wasn't very clear and what I meant, is can I swap the sub-harness straight over? Thanks.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Nakeds have no subharness like S's do.
Are you keeping stock gauges? If yes, just hide the wires as best you can. If no, build a new harness and trim everything as needed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nakeds have no subharness like S's do.
Are you keeping stock gauges? If yes, just hide the wires as best you can. If no, build a new harness and trim everything as needed.
So I can't switch to N wiring to make it the right length for the lights? I'm definitely not keeping the gauges, will be getting a smaller LED speedo.
I'll probably just shorter and hack away what I don't need then.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I'd recommend shorten & hack away since you're not trying to keep it plug&play back to OEM.
You don't need to switch to N wiring, you already have all that you need with the stock S wiring. Remove front harness and make your own custom one using the existing plug and you can shorten the wires as needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts