Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a frame, gsxr front end, motor, some other parts. Going to finish the bike myself. I am new to the riding world, but before anyone tells me the obvious, I will be taking a course offered by the state, as well as some training with a guy I know before I start riding. My roomate also has an sv650 and he posts on this board as well. Any tips you guys want to offer that may not be so obvious, go for it.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Welcome. I admire your commitment. Most newbies start with something a little less challenging, like a running motorcycle!
Build well, your life depends on it. Ride well and be happy.

·
Registered
551 Posts
welcome...
hope you get your bike together right! otherwise the outcome might not be a good one...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spuds said:
welcome...
hope you get your bike together right! otherwise the outcome might not be a good one...
I've worked on several cars before(engine,tranny, suspension,electrical,etc.), so I do have some experience with hand tools ;) I realize that having good parts on the bike are extremely important. Plus, my roomate is going to help me, and he knows this bike in and out. I don't think I'll be having too many problems, except maybe some anxiety attacks from wanting to ride it :)

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
nightrider said:
I've worked on several cars before(engine,tranny, suspension,electrical,etc.), so I do have some experience with hand tools ;) I realize that having good parts on the bike are extremely important. Plus, my roomate is going to help me, and he knows this bike in and out. I don't think I'll be having too many problems, except maybe some anxiety attacks from wanting to ride it :)
Great. I did a frame replacement on my brother's ZX6 with no prior bike experience but allot of car experience. It's no different. Just take stuff to torque specs and don't skip anything. I'd let some things "go" on my car only because the consequences are low. Do good work! That gave me an idea for my next bike. I may piece it together like you because it will be fun and I may spend just a bit less than if I were to buy a complete bike and then upgrade it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ShaggyZ said:
Great. I did a frame replacement on my brother's ZX6 with no prior bike experience but allot of car experience.  It's no different. Just take stuff to torque specs and don't skip anything. I'd let some things "go" on my car only because the consequences are low. Do good work!  That gave me an idea for my next bike. I may piece it together like you because it will be fun and I may spend just a bit less than if I were to buy a complete bike and then upgrade it.
I completely understand what you mean about not skipping steps. I never skipped steps on my current(2nd) car simply because on my first car, I did a few mods and didn't do the proper things to maintain the car and it was disasterous. Granted I was 16 at the time, but one time was all I needed. you'll be seeing a lot of me in the tech section once I start putting the bike together.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What up Mark. Glad to see you on the board. I'm the roomate he mentioned. I rebuilt my bike from salvage and I love it to death. This time we are building from the ground zero. Should be a fun ass project. We'll be taking pics along the way.

·
Registered
283 Posts
and post them.

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
836 Posts
nightrider, that is freakin' awesome, building your first bike. Now if there is ever a problem with it, you'll know how to fix it. I just think that is really cool 8)

·
Registered
397 Posts
wow...newb on a bike and your already building you own bike from scratch??? careful!!! lol better get that thing inspected by a licensed technician or something...unless your already a licensed technician or sumthing...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shekshishekki said:
wow...newb on a bike and your already building you own bike from scratch??? careful!!! lol better get that thing inspected by a licensed technician or something...unless your already a licensed technician or sumthing...
To address your concern, I will have quite a bit of help in doing this. I may be a noob at riding, but not so much with tools. Again I do not claim to know all, but I am taking every precaution necessary to get this thing working safely and properly. Part of the reason I wanted to build my own is so I would know every inch of the bike. Khskenny will be helping, as well as a few others. the motor was installed the other day and we will be taking pics throughout the process. I will post up some later when I get a chance. Thanks again for the welcome 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts