Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on what I have read, they seem to be a good all around tire. I am not racing, not knee dragging and not riding in the rain or snow. I want to ride longer distances and be comfortable, so I'm looking for a llong-lasting tire that's going to give me decent performance at a good price-point.

Any thoughts on this particular tire, or others I should be looking at? Do you buy online and then have the local shop mount them? Or, is there not that much of a difference in just buying at the local shop?

I am a total noob to this, so thoughts and opinions are more than appreciated. Also, I did use the search feature, which is how I found this tire. Couldn't find a lot of info otherwise. Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
The tire referenced in the ADV thread is a Shinko 705, commonly used on WeeStroms (DL650) or similar Adventure-Tour bikes such as his GS. I have used the Shinko 705s on my DL650k8 and liked them overall, but they did have a problem with cracking where the rubber blocks meet the tire. While I believe the cracking has been associated with lower pressures, this guy was running 40 psi. Personally, I liked the Shinko 705s for their reasonably good on and offroad performance, mileage (I typically got around 9-10K miles or more out of a set) and low price, but you need to keep an eye on the tires.
I just tried Conti Motion ST tires on my SV650AK7 and while I like their performance, I don't seem to be getting as many miles out of them as I was getting w/my Shinko 009s, so I may switch back. I let one of my front 009s go too long before replacing it and it started to delaminate but it was already at a mileage point where it should have been replaced. Again, just keep an eye on your tire pressures and inspect your tires frequently, something you should do anyway just as part of safe motorcycling.
If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive tire, try the Conti Motions as they are only a little more expensive than the Shinkos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Bkl. Took a quick look at some reviews of the Contis and they look like what I am seeking. A good all around tire for distance and value at a solid price point. Oh, and they don't blow up or disintegrate, so that's a plus....

Michelin Pilot Powers seem to be playing in this same arena...

·
Registered
217 Posts
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750382

I wouldn't buy one. Even the guys at my local shop say get anything else.
I have no experience with these tires...so I'm not rendering an opinion on that. Anyone else notice the OP in the link was from Zambia or notice the road he was on in the photo? There's no telling what kind of roads those tires have been subjected to. Normal street riding in the USA is probably a whole different test of a tire.

No endorsement of the tire. Just an observation on the use of the tire in that thread.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have about 1000 kms. on a set of Shinko 011 "Verge" tires. I understand they are fairly similar to the 009's.

I don't have a lot of experience or much to compare to except an old set of flattened BattleAxes, but so far I love them. I don't put mileage on very fast, so it will be quite a while before I can comment on their long term characteristics. By the way, I understand that Shinko recommends inflation pressures of 36 lb. front and 39 lb. rear. (3 lb. above the Suzuki manual)

There are some people on this forum that use the 009's and like them, do a search.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Between my DL and my SV, I have probably used at least 3 sets of the Shinko 705s and at least 2 sets of the Shinko 009s, assuming around 10K miles per set.
While I had some cracking with my 705s, it usually didn't show up until later in the tire's life. The one 009 that looked like it was starting to delaminate was also at the end of its useful life and I probably should have replaced it before it started looking so bad.
Overall, I have been relatively happy with Shinko tires.
A lot of people who have tried Shinko tires have been reasonably happy with them. Others won't try them because they don't believe a decent tire can be made at the prices Shinkos sell for.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
I've got 4500 miles on a set of 011's and like them a lot.:) MUCH better handling than the PR2's they replaced. Turn in is light, very light compared to the relatively truck-like turn in of the Michelins. Seriously, you think about turning and you are. The PR2's took a firm counter-steer to initiate the turn.

Rear tire will go another few thousand miles while the front almost looks new. The PR2's could go farther...but I took two rears off before being totally worn out because they started handling weird. The 011 is wearing nicely and still handling great. I have an 009 to put on the rear just as an experiment...but can recommend the 011's if you like a good performing tire.

Just for fun, if you have a Conti Motion....check the sidewall and see where it was made. If it says KOREA....it is made by Shinko.:) They make a pretty good tire...good enough for Continental.

·
Registered
818 Posts
There was a Verge 011 on the front of my SV1000 when I bought it. When the rear (Pilot Power) wore out, I replaced both tires with PR3's and gave the front 011 to a friend. He now has it on a Tiger 1050.

For both of us, the 011 had good feel and handling and seems to be wearing well. No experience w/ the Raven 009 or any other Shinko's.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I've got 4500 miles on a set of 011's and like them a lot.:) MUCH better handling than the PR2's they replaced. Turn in is light, very light compared to the relatively truck-like turn in of the Michelins. Seriously, you think about turning and you are. The PR2's took a firm counter-steer to initiate the turn.

Rear tire will go another few thousand miles while the front almost looks new. The PR2's could go farther...but I took two rears off before being totally worn out because they started handling weird. The 011 is wearing nicely and still handling great. I have an 009 to put on the rear just as an experiment...but can recommend the 011's if you like a good performing tire.

Just for fun, if you have a Conti Motion....check the sidewall and see where it was made. If it says KOREA....it is made by Shinko.:) They make a pretty good tire...good enough for Continental.
After having read too many horror stories about Shinkos, I decided not to take the chance on them.

I do run Continental Conti-Motions. I've heard many times on various forums that the Conti-Motions are made by Shinko. However, Google searches and searches of each of their websites turns up nothing. I am curious as to whether there is any truth to this, or whether it is an 'internet truth' that has been passed around from forum to forum.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
After having read too many horror stories about Shinkos, I decided not to take the chance on them.

I do run Continental Conti-Motions. I've heard many times on various forums that the Conti-Motions are made by Shinko. However, Google searches and searches of each of their websites turns up nothing. I am curious as to whether there is any truth to this, or whether it is an 'internet truth' that has been passed around from forum to forum.
Well....I believe that Shinko and Continental have an agreement that they won't advertise that someone other than the company on the sidewall made the tires. Can't blame them, I guess. But....Conti's scooter tires are Shinko made and for some reason they advertise that. 'shrug' Have heard a Dealer say that the Korean Conti's are Shinko's, and it makes sense if the tire says Korea on the sidewall. Lots of companies build stuff for others as it makes sense that everyone doesn't have to own all the molds for all the different sizes.

I kind of like rooting for the little guy.:) Shinko against the world! But seriously, their top tier tires are pretty nicely made...although not so super cheap anymore. But, on the SV1K, using the 011's can save you like $50 vs PR2's...and I like the way they handle much better. The Conti Motions are very similar to the 011's in construction as far as I can tell by reading about them, and if indeed they are Korean...that is the tire line I'd bet they are built on.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I bought a set of conti motions and can't stand how they handle in the wet and in the cold. I will be sourcing michelins or pirellis. I've looked at shinkos but until a fellow rider has a set that I can actually witness life and rides out of them I'll continue to watch shinkos be a stunters tire.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I bought a set of conti motions and can't stand how they handle in the wet and in the cold. I will be sourcing michelins or pirellis. I've looked at shinkos but until a fellow rider has a set that I can actually witness life and rides out of them I'll continue to watch shinkos be a stunters tire.
I've got a buddy with a big Victory cruiser and a DL1000 that runs Shinko's on both. I don't know which model, but he has yet to have a problem. It works that ways for a lot of tires. Me and another guy on here love Avon Storm 2 Ultra's, but CanyonChaser thinks they're one of the worst tires made. I will definitely admit that I've heard way more anecdotes about Shinko's, but I think that comes from people just generally not knowing about them and being unsure of them in the first place. That spawns threads like these, which gives those anecdotes a few more places to surface.

And mopar, the reason I quoted you is to draw your attention to the Storm 2 Ultra's wet and cold performance. I put about 16k across two sets before I sold it, riding year round in Georgia. I was getting to be pretty fast and I never had a problem. First set I replaced at 10k iirc because I was taking the Total Control class, and the new owner still has them as backups just in case. The second set is still on the road, but at some unknown mileage above 8k.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I dont know about the motions but I the conti road attacks were pretty nice. They lasted a decent time and were suitable for knee dragging applications. I eventually went with pilot powers out of necessity (need tires asap and they were in stock) and they are now my favorite tire but probably more tire than your applications call for.

Do you generally buy your tires online and then have your local shop mount them? Or, is there not that much of a difference in just buying at the local shop?
Most shops will charge you extra if you dont buy from them. If you can find a shop that wont charge you extra to bring in outside tires, than it can be cheaper to buy online.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I was looking to order some Shinkos online and contacted a listed local shop about installation and was told he could probably get me the tires cheaper. I've been using him for all my work since. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got about 9000 miles out of my last shinko raven 009 rest tire, which probably put about 15k on the front. The tires site well, had decent traction in the wet(not trying to drag a knee, just commuting) but did have a kind of flat profile, so turning was maybe a tad slow. But, I was very pleased with them overall, and will probably buy them again after this set of conti motions wears out.

Hope you like your new michilins, I haven't tried them yet.

-Tyler

1 - 20 of 40 Posts