Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my commuting is around 35-40 mph. Normally I'll kick into third gear and try to keep the revs above 3k. Someone told me the bike likes to operate above it. If I stay in second ill be somewhere around 5k or so I think... Is that okay too? The bike is working a little harder to keep that speed but where do I want my rpms to be typically for a leisurely commute?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
98 Posts
My bike feels "ready to go" in 3rd gear at those speeds, but if I'm sustaining that speed for over a mile, 4th gear seems less taxing on the bike without it feeling like it's bogging down. I prefer to stay above 3k rpm's regardless.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The bike will be fine all the way up to cruising at 7-8 thousand or even higher, so whatever works best for you is fine. If its a leisurely cruise, lower rpms. If you want more acceleration go higher.

·
MOTORADOR
10,969 Posts

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
35 to 40 mph. . . where do I want my rpms to be typically for a leisurely commute?
Stop and go city?
Twisties?
Highway?
If you're travelling at a steady speed and don't anticipate speed change for long intervals, 5th or 6th makes sense. If you're using your throttle to set your bike up for orner entry (even at "leisurely" speed) 4th makes a little more sense.

·
Registered
688 Posts
1st

Or second

or 3rd

sometimes 4th.

Maybe fifth

and 6th.
As off roader said- it really doesn't matter, you aren't going to hurt anything at those speeds, all comes down to preference.

at 35-40 you may be traveling slower than that 16 yo in the SUV behind you- so just keep that in mind, sometimes its good to be in a slightly lower gear ready to punch it if you see something in your rear view closing in quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Around town I usually am in 4th right around 3, 3.5 rpms. if there's some traffic around I need to zip by I keep it in 3rd, to have quicker response... If I'm on a fast moving road, like 45 50mph, I use 5th or 6th to save gas.

But like everyone else said, every situation dictates different needs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts