Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the manual of my 05' sv650, I'm not to go over 5k rmp until my first servicing at 300 miles. I've tried to take my bike on the freeway, but I see that as I approach about 60mph in 6th gear, I am already at my limit 5k rmp. Is this normal?

At 80mph, what is the sv650's normal rpm?

·
Registered
571 Posts
that sounds about right. but i'd stay off the highway until you have broken it in first. during the break-in period you are supposed to vary the rpms while you are riding. the highway doesn't give you much room to play if you are already at the upper limit of the break-in rpms and still not going highway speeds.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
schultzboy said:
that sounds about right. but i'd stay off the highway until you have broken it in first. during the break-in period you are supposed to vary the rpms while you are riding. the highway doesn't give you much room to play if you are already at the upper limit of the break-in rpms and still not going highway speeds.
+1

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
You can't blame that on the dealer Ivan. I've built hundreds of bikes and things like the gearshift are already on the bike from the factory. Things like the bars, controls and maybe one of the wheels are about all that a service worker puts on once uncrating. Some are more involved than others but they are basically only things that had to be removed to crate the bike.

The first service is at 600 miles. I did mine at 600 and everything was in torque spec.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
A naked SV should be indicating close to 70 MPH at 5,000 RPM in 6th. An SVS should be indicating closer to 72 MPH. If you are counting the gears up correctly (don't get offended, you said you were a newbie) then something is amiss. It could be bad indication on the tach or the speedometer. Worst case the clutch could be slipping.

Try again and be very sure you are in top gear. If what you report is accurate get it back to the dealer.

Brief excursions to 6,500 RPM while accelerating onto the expressway, for example, won't hurt anything. The engine is pretty forgiving. The break in RPMs are more important for the transmission.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just ride the damn thing like a motorcycle and not a stationwagon. The only reason the dealer and manufacturer tells you to baby it is because if they tell you to go out and flog it and you kill yourself then they will have to pay for your stupidity. I broke in my wife's SV650S and when the odometer showed 0.1 miles on it I had it up to 10.5k. The only thing you have to remember is to have the oil up to temp before you rev it. Then just vary the RPM's doing hard accels and decels using the motor for about 50 miles and your done. Rings nice and tight, and the motor is all broken in. Then just don't keep the same RPM for a long time until you reach 500 miles. Try to keep her under 130 as well.

You guys crack me up with how you baby your motorcycles. It's just way too funny. ;D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
heating and cooling cycles is an important part of break in, I had 1100 miles in 4days (I made first srvice appointment the same day I picked the bike up) Ride it let it, cool down, then ride again

I broke it in varying the rpms within the recomended limits (with a few exursions above)

now I have 123,400 (prolly hit 123,456 next time I go riding) all that's ever been done to my SV is routine maintenance

·
Registered
12 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
Just ride the damn thing like a motorcycle and not a stationwagon.  The only reason the dealer and manufacturer tells you to baby it is because if they tell you to go out and flog it and you kill yourself then they will have to pay for your stupidity.  I broke in my wife's SV650S and when the odometer showed 0.1 miles on it I had it up to 10.5k.  The only thing you have to remember is to have the oil up to temp before you rev it.  Then just vary the RPM's doing hard accels and decels using the motor for about 50 miles and your done.  Rings nice and tight, and the motor is all broken in.  Then just don't keep the same RPM for a long time until you reach 500 miles.  Try to keep her under 130 as well.

You guys crack me up with how you baby your motorcycles.  It's just way too funny. ;D
I Agree with this, just breakin in rings is all you are doing. these engine are well built.
Just warm it up and ride the dam thing!!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
So what happens to new bikes in the showroom that get taken out on a test ride? So, is that engine now bad? I hope not! That would be poorly built!
Just wait for the temps to get up to normal before hitting the higher rpms.

Moi

·
Registered
667 Posts
andyauger said:
A naked SV should be indicating close to 70 MPH at 5,000 RPM in 6th. An SVS should be indicating closer to 72 MPH. If you are counting the gears up correctly (don't get offended, you said you were a newbie) then something is amiss. It could be bad indication on the tach or the speedometer. Worst case the clutch could be slipping.

Try again and be very sure you are in top gear. If what you report is accurate get it back to the dealer.

Brief excursions to 6,500 RPM while accelerating onto the expressway, for example, won't hurt anything. The engine is pretty forgiving. The break in RPMs are more important for the transmission.
On my '04 Naked at almost exactly 5,000 RPM in 6th I am doing exactly 65, or at least an indicated 65.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
So what happens to new bikes in the showroom that get taken out on a test ride? So, is that engine now bad? I hope not! That would be poorly built!
Just wait for the temps to get up to normal before hitting the higher rpms.

Moi
There's no store here in Louisville that I know of that allows test rides on new bikes. They sit on the showroom floor with drained fluid and no battery.

Now the four wheel drives (ATV's and such) are set to go. I don't understand that (guess it makes them easy to move).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts