Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on installing clipons later this week, but I've reached an impasse with regard to turn signals.

I either have to modify my replacement headlight brackets - OR I can get a turn signal "relocation bracket" from Suburban Machinery (if they're even willing to sell it separately). But that bracket is made for the 1st gen SV. Are the signals the same between generations? (Sadly SM doesn't have a photo of the bracket on their site.)

Anyone have any closeup shots of the end of the stalk on a 1st gen signal?

The reason it's time sensitive is that I only have access to a garage this week, and I would need to get the part ordered ASAP if it will work...

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
just buy a good round file and either drill your headlight brackets and file to fit or make your own reloactors... they're just a piece of aluminum sheet bent 90*.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Their relocators are a joke. A piece of 1/4 thick sheet metal folded with a 90 degree bend and one hole in each side drilled.

You can do it on your own a heck of a lot better.

·
Registered
744 Posts
They should work between generations.

Yeah, you can definitely do it yourself, but fabrication takes times. If they're willing to sell them cheap enough, just go that route. You'll have enough other things to worry about.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'll try to make the correctly shaped holes in my replacement brakets.

What are the attributes of a "good" round file? This material is about 1/4" thick.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Instead of a round file, I'd use a small flat file. It'll be easier to get a flat edge to the hole with that.

I don't know if I need to say this or not, but be sure to start punch the holes before you start drilling them.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't sweat the 'D' hole for the turn sigs. Just a plain ol' hole and the nut securing the TS will hold it fine.

Suggestion: for drilling the holes, consider buying a step drill or UniBit. Starting with a 1/4" or so pilot hole, a step drill will make a nice, neat deburred hole. They're designed for use on sheet metal or plate up to about 0.200" and they're a lot easier to control than a big-ass twist drill.

:)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I still reccomend you drill he hole and file it to fit. I'd also use 1/8" aluminum, 1/16" steel or aluminum will work too.
Nicholson makes great files and they're commonly available at most hardware stores. Just get a round one that's small enough to fit in the hole you're making, you're not filing "that much" material off that it will really matter how coarse a file you get.

Just get it big enough that the turn signal is a tight fit and torque the nut on. One of my rear brackets I made the oval just a bit too big and now the turnsignal slops around in the hole :wink: The stockers have a lip on the signal stem to keep you from being able to torque them all the way down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts