Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on here and google and have not found what I am looking for.

I have JVC marshmallows and they work good but I have noise canceling headphones at work (the big kind) that are amazing. They drown out constant noises. I am thinking they would work great for wind noise but of course they they don't fit under a helmet.

The only noise canceling earbuds I see online do not create a tight seal in your ear.

I want a tight seal and noise canceling.

Anyone know of any?

*Edit- I have two "L"'s in my title.. whoops.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think your best option is to skip the noise canceling and go straight for maximum isolation. From everything I have read, noise canceling earbuds just don't work. I think RandyO has a noise canceling set-up in his helmet using chatterbox or autocom or something that works. His set-up uses in helmet speakers though.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^Firefox auto-corrected my LL's for some reason in my post :)

The skullcandy ones look nice, but not noise cancelling.

I took my noise cancelling sony's out on the shop floor at work, everyone was putting them on and switching on the switch, it was a night and day difference; the machines turned off and you could hear everybody's voices.. very cool.

I know people use them for airplanes too, I would love to try a set for wind noise. Maybe I will put on my big sonys and go down the road for a mile with no bucket.. wait, that would be a "bad choice". I am trying to stop those.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
And you're correct with two "L"s in cancelling.
Threadjack:On

The hell you say. Maybe if you are a dirty limey. (No offense to the brits out there.) Either spelling is ok, actually. Just one L is MORE correct.

Threadjack: Off

Edit: To actually give some more useful information, read this thread. Just disregard the nitwits saying hearing protection on a bike is a bad thing. For a little background, that is not a motorcycle site. Its all about headphones. These guys know headphones.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Nothing beats Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones if you have a few bucks to spare. Even if I'm not playing my iPod they are in as ear plugs.

There was a large thread on this very subject a few months back and I was amazed at how many members here were using them also.

I use Audio-Technica active noise cancelling headphones for plane travel. A lot of reviews put them as good as or better than Bose. They do have a lot of sound leakage so you hear nothing but people 5 seats around you can hear. So I use my ER6i and headphones over them. Heck an engine could explode and I wouldn't hear a thing :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Threadjack:On

The hell you say. Maybe if you are a dirty limey. (No offense to the brits out there.) Either spelling is ok, actually. Just one L is MORE correct.

Threadjack: Off
lol ok

anyway, yeah I mean with my sony earbuds (without noise canceLLing), I could hear wind noise slightly, but it's no longer hurting my ear drums.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
eh.......nothing beats a good old foam ear plug that reduces noise by at least 20 dB :thumbsup:
The ER6i's are rated at 32 dB reduction. So in this case, the earbuds do in fact beat foam ear plugs. I have the ER6i's and am quite happy with them. Lots of tips for them as well so you can find the one that works best for your ears.

P.S. CanceLing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i've tried a bunch of different ear buds but after an hour of riding they always hurt my ears. by hurt my ears, i don't mean sound, i mean they physically hurt. BUT what i have also noticed is that they insulate a lot more sound in my expensive (and quieter to begin with) arai rx7 then in my scorpion exo700. it seems to be the way the padding holds them in my ears.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Go to your local ENT (ear, nose, throat) or Audiologist office, and have them make you some. They can custom-mold a set of ear-plugs to your actual ears, and most places can get special ones that are designed for motorcyclists and canceling out wind noise. They run you between $30 and $120ish depending on what you get.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The ER6i's are rated at 32 dB reduction. So in this case, the earbuds do in fact beat foam ear plugs. I have the ER6i's and am quite happy with them. Lots of tips for them as well so you can find the one that works best for your ears.

P.S. CanceLing.
hmm...I didn't know that. but it's still like what, $500 difference? that's like a slip-on AND a belly pan for me.

ok...i see i'm not going to win with me 2 L's

Still foam = more bang for the buck no? ;D

As far as physically hurting, I just cut off the little stems on my earbuds, so it really is an earbud. No more pain in the cartliage anymore. And I chopped off the little plastic thing off the 3.5mm jack so I can use it with my iphone. yay

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
hmm...I didn't know that. but it's still like what, $500 difference? that's like a slip-on AND a belly pan for me.

ok...i see i'm not going to win with me 2 L's

Still foam = more bang for the buck no? ;D

As far as physically hurting, I just cut off the little stems on my earbuds, so it really is an earbud. No more pain in the cartliage anymore. And I chopped off the little plastic thing off the 3.5mm jack so I can use it with my iphone. yay
Maybe 500% difference if you buy your earplugs in bulk and get them for 14 cents a piece. The er6i's are only 60-70 bucks on fleabay. So yes, it would take quite a few earplugs to make up the price difference and by then you would have had to buy a few more tips for the earbuds. Either way, whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
+1 for the er6i, they're the shiznit and the only real IEM (in ear monitor) isolating headphone mentioned. All the sony/skull candy crap is a ripoff meant for circuit city shelves.

·
Registered
179 Posts
pne Speaks the truth, I have some of those Skull Candy craphones, and they are definitely no good for riding a bike. I have never heard of these er6i's but I just might give them a shot. Where to buy in Canadaland?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
pne Speaks the truth, I have some of those Skull Candy craphones, and they are definitely no good for riding a bike. I have never heard of these er6i's but I just might give them a shot. Where to buy in Canadaland?
I got mine on amazon in US. Same in Canadia I guess.

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have Shure e3c earphones and love them. They're analagous to the SE310 model they have now. All I can say is if you have the cash to spare (kind of pricey), Shure earphones sound WAY better than any Skullcandy/Sony/Bose earphones I've ever heard. With foam sleeves I can wear them for hours with no discomfort. Here's a link if you want to check em out.

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.12165500
Do you wear them while riding?
Would they fit under a helmet?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts