Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned my chain for the first time and tightened it a little cause it seemed a little loose while it was on the stand. Do you think maybe its too tight now? As far a cleaning I used kerosene and chain lube. The noise definately sounds like its coming from the chain.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just looked at the manual. It says I should've adjusted it with the bike on the side stand. Shouldve read the manual first. I'll check it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Also make sure the axle is square, don't trust the tick marks on the swingarm. Measure from the swingarm pivot to the axle on both side so you know everything is lined up right.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
What kind of noise? I noticed when I lube my chain with Chain Wax that it makes a Shhhhhhhh sound for the first several hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
+1000 to what DT said. Don't trust tick marks. I'm a little nervous about even turning my back on them. If the chain tension checks out good on the side stand I wouldn't worry about it too much. I can hear the chain some if I don't have ear plugs in.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of noise? I noticed when I lube my chain with Chain Wax that it makes a Shhhhhhhh sound for the first several hundred miles.
I guess thats the noise, just metalic. I'm certain that it was one of the two things I did today, because I've never heard this before. I'll check the chain hopefully after work tomorrow and if the noise is still there I'll ride it out.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
the chain should have an adequate amount of slack where it is when YOU the rider is sitting on the bike... and should not become overly tight when the suspension is fully compressed

·
Super Moderator
8,669 Posts
How many miles are on your chain? A worn out chain will make a rhythmic metalic sound, especially at low speed, as the loose section and then the tight section make their way around the sprockets. Be sure to make the adjustment when the chain is in the tight position. A large difference between the tight/loose sections means the chain is shot.

S

·
0 Posts
Make sure the wheel is properly aligned. If it's off a little, you might hear it in the chain, but it will definitely wear out the chain/sprockets prematurely. The chain will also make noise if you've tightened it too much. And like the others have said, don't rely on the tick marks for the axle alignment.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i definately use the tick marks for alignment... assuming everything is still straight, theese should be accurate

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
i definately use the tick marks for alignment... assuming everything is still straight, theese should be accurate
Should is the key word in that sentence. Always, always, always double check the measurement.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
ive never had any issues... i always use the notches. also, once it is set properly and if you are making regular adjustments all it takes is an equal amount of turns on the adjusters..

·
Super Moderator
8,669 Posts
Uh oh, her we go again with tic marks! ;D After listening to lots of comments on tic mark accuracy/adjuster slop, the method that sounded most foolproof to me is one of those chain/sprocket alignment tools that clip onto the rear sprocket. You adjust alignment until the chain lines up with the little bar on the tool. That's it.

The tool won't align front and back wheels, but if your chain is aligned and your wheels aren't then you may have bigger problems!;)

I did a one time measure of my tic marks, and by luck they were accurate to about 1/16 in. After knowing they're close, that's what I use.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
uh-oh here we go again... people that ride thier bikes once every week and think about even less wondering if they are giving it enough thought

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many miles are on your chain? A worn out chain will make a rhythmic metalic sound, especially at low speed, as the loose section and then the tight section make their way around the sprockets. Be sure to make the adjustment when the chain is in the tight position. A large difference between the tight/loose sections means the chain is shot.
I have about 2400 on the bike. The guy before me never rode it. Its probably too tight now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Those tick marks.... man I have tried the string method and a few others. The best one I have found is to use some straight pieces of angle iron on either side of the tires running the length of the bike. My tick marks are on the money! If you have any questions about your chain tension take it to a shop and have a mechanic look at it they shouldn't charge you anything it only takes a second (just through them $5 for a tip they will love you). If your chain was to fail it could be bad for you the bike and anyone else on the road with you!

S

·
0 Posts
The tick marks on my bike seem to be accurate too, but I wouldn't trust them to set the alignment of the wheel/chain.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I've got a question for the "don't use the tick mark" contingent: have you measured any inaccuracy in the placement of the tick marks?

Manufacturing quality of the Suzuki parts I have worked with has been excellent. I've been in manufacturing myself for decades and based on the high degree of accuracy I've seen in Japanese motorcycles, I would be inclined to say the marks are a very good way to get basic alignment. The swingarms are made on automated equipment which intrinsically produces very tight tolerances. The marks are, undoubtedly, placed with the swingarm in a fixture that maintains good alignment and yields repeatable, accurate placement of the tick marks.

Being a stickler for detail, I would be inclined, at least once, to verify the accuracy of these marks just for peace of mind. Once that is done, using the swingarm marks should be just fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts