Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running serches for about 2 days now and I did find some dealing with no spark but they havent covered my topic exactly. My 2000 sv650 was stolen, It was actually recovered by the police about a week and a half later. As you may expect I didnt get it back in the same condition as I left it. The hotwire job was crude to say the least. Basically they smashed the hell out of my guages and headlight to get to the ignition tumbler. First broke something off in the tamper bolts then just busted the whole bottom half off of the ignition tumbler so that they could take any key or screwdriver and turn the tumbler to ignition, off, et... Then there was some household light switch stuck up under the frame with two wires coming off leading into my wireing. Someone sugested this was to turn all lights on the bike off to evade police but I am not certain of this. Anyway, over time I have replaced the lock set, ignition tumbler, starter, front wheel, etc. I have the bike to where it will turn over but zero spark. I have fuel, compression, hot battery that turns the bike over and over but no spark. Can ANYONE help me with this? Getting this bike back, and now possibly getting it running after it was so unncesesarily stolen and treated cruely has become like a badge of honor or something for me. First off the detective told me (before I got it back) that he had recovered 5 bikes in 20 years. Not a lot of hope going in but somehow I got her back and my insurance refused to pay out on it..long story. Could this household light switch I mentioned have been some sort of a ground or kill switch to shut off the bike? Know where I should start on this w/o throwing C notes at it at the dealer. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Download the manual and start going over the wiring harness. If they really swiss-cheesed it you might consider scrapping it all-together and getting a good used one off Ebay ($cheap$).
I would not be ven a little surprised if they cooked the ignition module with whateve they did.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would agree, a complete new/used harness would most likely be your best bet if you're not so inclined to play electrical guru.

Grav.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the two wires were one blue one red. Hooked to the terminals on the light switch. That is the thing thought they didnt really swiss cheese my whole set up were probabaly too stupid for that. All they were really doing was turing the lower portion of the tumbler with at screwdriver to get out of there then they duct tapped the bottom portion of the tumbler back on and stripped the key hole out so that any motorcycle key could then turn the tumbler. So the only real splice into my harness was those two wires and it was up just below the ignition tumbler and above the plug in so that when I replaced that part it replaced teh damage. How would I test my ignition module and where is it. THis is what I was afraid of too. However the bike was running when the cops recovered it b/c they ran on it and ditched the bike beside the road.

T

·
0 Posts
blue wire is neutral light.red is power coming in.
before you go to checking CDI box make sure side stand switch and clutch switch are working.your bike is getting power since it is turnning motor.trigger for strater is in right handlebar housing.so looks like there is power everywhere but coils.on top of those safety switches there are 2 more things that will do same,no spark.one is resistor inside ignition and other is turn signal relay(black box next to fuse box).if turn signal relay does not have contact you will have no power.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks TWF. I know my clutch kill switch is good b/c I replaced it with a new one, I know my kickstand is in the proper position but dont necessarily know if the switch is good, I know the bike has full power except to the plugs (all lights turn signals etc). The resistor inside the ignition is one thing that has always concerend me b/c I was talking to a guy who races SVs right after mine was stolen but before I got it back and he told me that b/c of the resistor in the ignition he didnt think the bike could even be "hot wired". I know of course where the relay next to my fuse box is but where is my CDI box? I am more of a mechanic than a electrician so the best I could hope to do is remove, chuck, and repalce these items. I am trying to avoid the $70 per hour shop cost combined by my no way to get a nonrunning bike to the shop situatuion I find myself in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
why would someone go through all the trouble just to steal a $3,000 bike? subtract the $500 in damages too. Tools.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts