Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have some trouble with my sv650s 1999.
I was on vacation and here in Ireland it rains a lot as you may know, the bike won't start after the 3 weeks of my absence.

First I have a problem with the ignition button, it does not work... ( it worked for like 2 minutes and then it stopped again).

I tried to force the start by connecting the two cables together from under drivers seat and the engine was starting however it did not start up fully.

I checked the spark and it did not spark up. The voltage was going from 1v to 2volts (what should it be? cars usually have 12volts I believe).

I was thinking that it's the clutch because it has the security that you won't be able to turn the bike on when the clutch is not pressed but I'm not sure how to get rid of this security thing.

Also, could it be the ignition being filled with rain? (where the key goes in) should I take this apart and have a look?
From what I have seen, all cables are ok and it should be working fine :worship:

Do you have any suggestions what should I do next?
BTW.
There is petrol in the tank:)
The battery is fully charged
I took apart the ignition button mechanism and made sure that is all good, it was.

What is left to check is the clutch thing and ignition.

Anyone could help with this?

Thanks for reading :)

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
I think you're saying that the bike cranks if you short between the solenoid terminals?

The starter effectively has 5 switches in order to operate the starter:

In serial order from the battery
1) Key-Switch
2) Side-Stand/Neutral Switch Relay
3) Run/Kill Switch
4) Starter Switch
5) Clutch Switch

You are bypassing all of these when you short the solenoid, so even though you get the starter motor to run, problem with either 1 or 2 or 3 would still prohibit the engine from firing.

Regarding the voltage at the coils - you should have constant 12V at the Orange/White wires to the coils - this is supplied by the output of #3 above.
The other wire to each coil (Black/Yellow or White) is the drive supplied by the Igniter and will switch between high & low (hard to measure with your dc volt-meter)

Since your starter won't run, and you possibly are not getting the +12 at the coils (depending on where you are measuring) look to possible problem with the Kill Switch or the Side-stand relay. Check to be sure that you have neutral light indicated - if bike is in gear (or thinks it is in gear i.e. Neutral light is not on) with side-stand down, then bike will not start.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

Thanks for the help.

I did put the bike on neutral and I am aware that it won't start with gear on + stand down. I checked both ways but no good.

How do I fix the voltage to be 12 v?
You kind of ignored the clutch safety system, do I need to ignore this too?

I can try changing my spark plugs but I'm not sure if it will be the fix for this.

It's funny because couple of months ago I had this issue when I was riding in town. I tried to turn the bike on but it would not crank like today. I fixed it by moving the carbs up and down :| it does not work anymore XD

anyway, I will work on this further, if you have any suggestions please let me know :)

Thanks a lot!!

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
.... You kind of ignored the clutch safety system, ....
No, I didn't ........ ;D

The clutch switch only interlocks the starter - I showed all the interlocks that applied to the starter, in the sequence of current flow from battery to solenoid.
I also said that the voltage to the coils is from the output of 3 - which precludes items 4 & 5 which are downstream.

Do you have +12V at the Orange/White wire on each coil?

('+12' is not meant to be definitive value, general in that range)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I know what you mean now.

Would you know where to find the clutch system? Could it be rusted or something? I did not see anything under the leaver so I believe it's somewhere near the chain (Beside gear change knob).
If I disable this I might get a result...

Or there might be a problem with the stand too, Could it think that it's in gear when it's in Neutral with stand down? I'll try all options and I will check the voltage as you said.

Thanks for help

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Start by checking to see if you get the +12V on the orange/white wire - that will tell you whether the problem is upstream or downstream from there.
So that is an important data-point. Can advise you from there accordingly

If the Neutral light is on, then the Igniter will also recognize the bike is not in gear - simply raising the side-stand will eliminate as point of contention regardless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

I had a little look at all of this today again. I got the start button working and I can now turn the engine but it still doesn't start up fully...

I have 1.5v and not 12v.
The bike is in neutral and I tried with both, stand up and down but no luck.

So what should I do when I do not get the 12v?

Should I consider changing the spark plugs at all? Or should I ignore it until I get the 12v?

Thanks for help!! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now, finally got more time to take a look again. I have connected the battery straight to the coil and still no luck. I am still getting 1.5v -> 2.2v at the two cables.

Should I unplug the switch off red button? If so, where can I find the plug?

What do you suggest to do when if I don't get the 12v?

Thanks in advance for the help:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, managed to get it working. I'll share the problem even though I am writing to myself all the time ;)

First, as I said, the motorbike was on the rain for a while. There was no problem with the coil. I took the tank off and poured the petrol into a container. I was surprised to see half of it filled with rusty water and then petrol on top ;) How on earth the motorbike was supposed to start with only water to drink lol. I took the carbs apart and there was **** load of water inside the "chambers" too. cleaned every bit of it with petrol and now it's doing great.

The problem with the ignition button was:
the relay switch was faulty (the piece on the right side near battery)
I have made my own one with 50amps on it and connected everything together. Doing great aswell. (I believe that original one was 30 amps or 40).

So, my suggestion for future unlucky people like me is:
First make sure that the carbs get clean petrol, not **** like my one did.
If you get no response from the start up button first check the safety system (as described above by someone) and if this does not help, try to fix the relay switch or get a new one.

If your petrol tank has dirt in it, you will have to clean the carbs too as they get blocked by it.

Thanks for the responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts