Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys
My bike runs great and start on the first try.... but when i floor it in 1st, it makes great power up to 8-9k and then the revs keep going up but the bike doesn't seem like its accelerating much more.
The bike has a jardine pipe and is stock otherwise. what do you guys think is the problem?
im not using motorcycle specific oil, so could my clutch be slipping?
UPDATE BOTTOM OF PAGE 3

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok guys, tried to clutch adjustment. i think it made things worst. i must have not done it right. i have some **** car motor oil there, should i switch it out? or is that not relevant?

i might have to open it up to look at the plates

·
Registered
364 Posts
OOO really? YES TAKE THE CAR OIL OUT NOW! Put some motorcycle oil in and see if that doesnt help.

You have a fart can on your civic dont you?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea sean, actually to be honest i was thinking that. cause my bike is not jetted right. im running a full exhuast with stock jets. would jetting effect it to this extent?

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
yea sean, actually to be honest i was thinking that. cause my bike is not jetted right. im running a full exhuast with stock jets. would jetting effect it to this extent?
Yes. You need larger main jets. Take it to a shop, yo.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Might be a slipping clutch, like andy said. You don't know how a slipping clutch feels like?

Either way, you are still probably running lean from the full exhaust, with or without slippage.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Seriously take the car oil out of your bike. If your clutch is slipping thats why. Put some real motorcycle oil in it. Then get some main jets and rejet your bike try 150, 152 should be somewhere around that area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seriously take the car oil out of your bike. If your clutch is slipping thats why. Put some real motorcycle oil in it. Then get some main jets and rejet your bike try 150, 152 should be somewhere around that area.
meh i use car oil in all of my bikes. they don't cause the clutch to slip (esp in 10W40, which is non-energy conserving). and if the clutch isn't slipping at 4000 rpm, why would it be slipping at 9500?

this is a jetting issue. bike is running lean with stock jetting and full exhaust. pull your spark plugs and find out for sure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
[quote[Seriously take the car oil out of your bike. If your clutch is slipping thats why. Put some real motorcycle oil in it.[/quote]

SOME car oils can cause slipping, not all.

I use Shell Rotella in everything I own, including the ZX6R track bike, and have NO clutch slipping issues.

Bump up a size on the main jaets to compensate for the exhaust and filter and you should be better off, or just go ahead and buy a jet kit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
ok learn me something, why would you run car oil instead of motorcycle?

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok learn me something, why would you run car oil instead of motorcycle?
because they're pretty much the same? the additive packages are a little different, but wear testing hasn't shown that moto oil is always better across the board.

and since they mark up moto-oil for $10/qt, and I can get Mobil 1 at walmart for $24 for a gallon jug, i don't really feel like spending the extra $16 for something that will do the same thing.

"energy conserving" car oils are generally said to cause some clutch slippage due to higher moly (iirc) content, but 10W40 (most common viscosity req'd by bikes) is never?/rarely Energy conserving anyway and doesn't have the same amount of moly.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Mobile1 yah its like $8 a quart for moto stuff but i only use car oil if i am a day before an oil change and i need to topoff. And besides the SV holds like 2.5 qts, buy the good stuff.

Your problem is DEFINATELY that it is too lean.. probly pops and crackles a lot when you engine brake from that high of an rpm too..

Leave the clutch in the bike. check your spark plugs and change your oil. When you find that your plugs are white pull the carbs and start figuring out how to change the jets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mobile1 yah its like $8 a quart for moto stuff but i only use car oil if i am a day before an oil change and i need to topoff. And besides the SV holds like 2.5 qts, buy the good stuff.
I'm changing oil every other trackday or so, so $40 oil changes (3.5 qts + OEM filter) for the 675 add up. The 650 gets whatever leftovers not used up by the triumph.

·
Registered
364 Posts
GN4 is 15 a gallon :nana:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts