Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 650, and it's been sitting for several months because my starter clutch went out and I haven't had the extra funds to buy one. I had a friend wanted to see what it did when you cranked it. So I turned it on, everything normal, hit the starter button, heard a pop, and power left completely. I took the battery out and charged it, still nothing. I checked every fuse I could find, they all look good. I looked for any burned connections, they look good. With the battery hooked up I can put a probe light from negative terminal to the positive terminal and it has power, and if I turn the key on, probe light goes out, turn key off, probe light comes back on. I'm lost. I'm sure I need a battery, and I'm also sure having an actual volt meter will help. But I'm not even sure where I should be checking for voltage first. What would "pop" with a weak battery and completely kill power to everything if it's not a fuse? Anyone have a checklist I can run down?

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
How do you know your fuses are good without a volt meter?
Easy to test fuses in place with a test light.

Sounds like the battery popped. Having enough charge to light a test light but not enough once a greater load is applied...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could be right. I've never heard a battery "pop" before, but I have heard these Phoenix summers are killers to batteries. Do you think a basic load test in the battery would tell me if the battery "popped"?

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I can't explain the noise. But it definitely sounds like a bad battery.

If you have the means to do a load test, sure, that'll tell you.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
... I can put a probe light from negative terminal to the positive terminal and it has power, and if I turn the key on, probe light goes out, turn key off, probe light comes back on.
As mentioned, this means the battery is severely discharged, likely toast. The headlight load is causing battery voltage to crash low anytime the key turns on. This basically is a load test.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You could be right. I've never heard a battery "pop" before, but I have heard these Phoenix summers are killers to batteries. Do you think a basic load test in the battery would tell me if the battery "popped"?
I had a turbo diesel box truck. One day I got in and turned the key. A deafening explosion followed. When my senses recovered, visual inspection revealed the battery had arced internally and ignited the hydrogen gas inside taking the top off the battery and spraying an adjacent vehicle with battery acid. After that, I can imagine almost any kind of spontaneous disassembly of a battery. A pop, no problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
... the battery had arced internally and ignited the hydrogen gas inside taking the top off the battery and spraying an adjacent vehicle with battery acid. After that, I can imagine almost any kind of spontaneous disassembly of a battery. A pop, no problem.
Years ago a mechanic in the bay next to mine was working on a little two-stroke. He had the battery on charge so it was generating lots of H2. No AGM sealed batteries back then, they all vented out through a tube down by the footpegs.

He was using a torch to decarbonize the exhaust. Suddenly I heard a loud "POP!", looked over and saw battery acid pouring down on the lift. The flame from the torch had ignited the H2 at the vent tube, and the battery exploded spilling its guts.

It is not common but batteries can and do explode under the right/wrong conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts