·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
17K miles. 3rd owner.
Been searching and it helped alot.
Turn key get nothing.
New battery tuesday, last one seemed to be dead after 1.5 yrs ? Wouldn't charge?
Im pretty handy, but im not great with wiring.
Rode 100 miles yesterday, turned off bike for fuel, then no power nowhere.
Dead battery seemingly, towed home remove seat and battery very very hot. I quickly put on safety glasses (could it explode). Burn hand hot. = not good = 13.7 volts with bike off key removed. Cleaned battery terminals. Battery cooled off went to 12.7V
Got 12.7 volts through starter relay and same at red wire feeding ignition, no voltage coming out on orange.
I believe ignition switch is bad & my theory is the R&R failed and burned ignition switch?
Is it a longshot?
Why is battery hot and 13.7 volts?
Im not real confident in my electronic skills.
Checked a green connector inside headlight seems good, pulled apart & reseated just because.
Found two connectors not connected right side below gas tank.
Any help will be appreciated
Thanks
Miken

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
... remove seat and battery very very hot. I quickly put on safety glasses (could it explode). Burn hand hot. = not good = 13.7 volts with bike off key removed.
The gen1 R/R strikes again. The only cause for a super hot battery is overcharging. No doubt the R/R has failed. Replace it with a MOSFET type R/R. Do not replace it with the stock Suzuki R/R.

...Got 12.7 volts through starter relay and same at red wire feeding ignition, no voltage coming out on orange.
If you see 12v on Red going into the ignition switch but 0v on Orange coming out, then the switch has failed. But maybe test this again. If the switch is bad, it would be a coincidence as overcharging by the R/R will not cause failure here.
White Rectangle Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a preferred place to buy regulator?
Also i found some threads about modifing the wiring but the pics are no longer available, anyone know of a thread with pics ?
Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So new upgraded R&R installed
New ignition switch installed.
New Battery installed.
Bike cranks over no start, gauge cluster lights working, gut feeling says no spark
Just by sound of cranking, didnt keep trying just a few short trys to start.
Mechanic friend (auto mechanic) said put test light on coil while cranking, look for pulse.
It was late yesterday and i had enough for one day.
Is this my next test?
Checked kickstand switch and clutch lever switch also.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,244 Posts
Checking spark is easy. Pull a spark plug, ground against the head, hit the starter, look for spark.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
Overcharging often kills the ignitor (ignition module). Check for spark as your friend suggested.

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
Did the ignition switch come directly from the dealer?

There have been reports of cheap eBay knock-off ignition switches missing the internal anti-theft resistor and can cause no spark too.

• Wow
Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
The packaging looks OEM. Chances are the ignitor failed. There is a way to test for the anti-theft resistor if necessary.

Reactions: Hardknocks1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all
I have power to test light @ red/white wire on rear coil with key on.
Crank bike light stays on dont pulse.
Looks like the ignitor box ?
What about this anti theft check/test?
Im getting close i feel.
Thanks again.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
... What about this anti theft check/test?
To check for the anit-theft resistor, unplug the ignition switch, turn the key to ON, then look for 100 ohms between O/Y and B/W. If the resistor is okay, then there is a good chance the R/R fried the igntior the same time it cooked the battery. Good luck, the ignition system on the SV is basci, you will fix this.
White Rectangle Line Font Parallel

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
Glad you got it started!

Sorry to say, but the R/R overvoltage likely fired the tach too. Was the tach working just prior to the R/R failure?

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
If you are game, try open the tach, look for the 30ohm 1/2W resistor shown in the image below. It may be fried. If so, changing it might fix the tach. This failure has been posted on SVR before (new resistor fixed it) but no guarantee. Good luck.
Finger Oscilloscope Gadget Electrical wiring Electronic engineering

1 - 20 of 21 Posts