Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to pop the clutch to start my 03 after work this evening. I rolled off down the parking lot with all the proper lights showing, including the little green one, put her in 2nd and popped the clutch. It didn't start, but all the lights died. I stopped and tried the starter. Nothing. hmmmmm...

I tried checking every switch. No soap. Pushed it back up the hill tried the rolling start thing again, this time in third, and the bike lit right up. I made it home, noticing my instrument lights were flickering just a bit, killed th motor, and again upon trying to restart... no lights, no starter, no action. Anybody had this trouble before?

·
Registered
88 Posts
SO you rode it to work and everything was fine? I would check your battery connections and make sure all your ground wires are clean and tight, it sounds to me like it's time for a new battery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible. Absolutely no indication that I was having battery problems before, though. I would think my instrument cluster lights and headlights would come on at least dimly, even if the battery was too weak to turn the starter. I have NO lights, not a glimmer. I have never had any problem with the bike starting until I tried to "push start" it as a whim. It was only then that everything died. I'll check connections in the morning. It looks like there may be a snowstorm coming this weekend so I may get some time to fix it if it's something troublesome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I metered the starter relay, checks out as good. Did a continuity check on both the clutch and engine kill switches and they check out as good. Battery voltage a little weak at 12.3 volts. After pulling a few connections under the seat and reattaching, and doing the handlebar switch checks, the instrument cluster lights reappeared. but died the instant I hit the starter switch. Looks like this may be a pain. Any clues?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Check fuses and make sure you havent popped any. My buddies VF500 would blow a fuse everytime the starter button was pushed. Turns out when I took the button assembly the wires had come a little loose and were shorting. All I had to do was clean up the wires a bit, put in a fresh fuse and I could hot wire the bike...meaning no other issues. All he needed was a new switch.

If you're able to pop start the bike again, I would double check the voltage across the leads of the battery terminals. I just got a new SV so not too familiar with these bikes yet but with the old Honda's this would be a sure fire sign that the alternator was going out. I BELIEVE you're voltage meter should read somewhere in the mid 14's when the bike is running (typically for my old bike you'd need to hold the revs to about 4K rpm)...if its reading any less than spec, you have a problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My problem turned out to be a broken insulator in the starter motor AND a loose ground wire. I repaired it and am riding again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts