Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a vid I threw together of NJMP lightning clips. It's not a brag vid, just trying to show the experience to my non-rider friends and maybe a laugh. It was also an experiment working with new software and new cameras.

This is TPM Red group, the AMA guy smokes me in the vid due to a fluke of red/blue combined that day. For reference, my Lightning is a 1:22, Thunderbolt is 1:43.

trump me with your own vids of NJMP!

·
Registered
182 Posts
nice, I miss the track so much, it's only been 2 weeks! i got the same suit and helmet haha. Had my first crash 2 weeks ago, but bikes repaired and I'm ready to get out there in 2 weeks.

As one of my instructors said "hey look! now you are the fastest of the slow guys!" haha :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice, I miss the track so much, it's only been 2 weeks! i got the same suit and helmet haha. Had my first crash 2 weeks ago, but bikes repaired and I'm ready to get out there in 2 weeks.

As one of my instructors said "hey look! now you are the fastest of the slow guys!" haha :)

Is your trackbike an SV or something else? That's funny we have the same gear- I was bargain shopping for a GP-Tech and the Rossi design was even cheaper than a blank one. Wasn't sure about being "that guy" with a Rossi helmet at a track day, but I had to do it- that's real money..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is your trackbike an SV or something else? That's funny we have the same gear- I was bargain shopping for a GP-Tech and the Rossi design was even cheaper than a blank one. Wasn't sure about being "that guy" with a Rossi helmet at a track day, but I had to do it- that's real money..
I started on an SV, did that for about 6 track days. Then I found an 2006 R6s for 2k$ :naughty: and so I bought that and converted it to my track bike. I figured the extra horsepower will make up for my lack of skill haha.

I just got the Rossi helmet, after I crashed, I wanted to pick up an AGV K3 Donkey helmet (stupid crash on my part, thought it would be funny). The salesman was either very good or I'm a sucker bc he convinced me to get a GP Tech instead haha. He said the K3 was too unsafe for the track, and he was said I was crazy for spending more on my boots/feet than my head lol.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Only did one day at lightening back in NJMP's 1st year when it opened. It was crazy fun. I think I did a 1:19 back then but I was on a bigger bike though. What's a good time there now?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
In the video where the AMA rider blew past is one area that is very fast and I remember that alot of riders including myself would brake there then get back on the gas. Then I remember that little by little I would just brake less and less and if I'm not mistaken I just did use the brakes at all. I just bent the bike in and since its banked I made the corner fine. Its been a long time since I have been on that side of the track but that's what I remember but I could be wrong on going in there with no brakes, I could have just got on them a bit to get the bike turned.

Hmm I think its time to get that back on my track day list for next season.

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
i actually like L more than T. It's fun, fast, and doesn't have an annoying back section (never liked the neverending right where the line is magicaly in the middle somewhere, could never get my bearings in there)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i actually like L more than T. It's fun, fast, and doesn't have an annoying back section (never liked the neverending right where the line is magicaly in the middle somewhere, could never get my bearings in there)
It is more flowing track for sure. I don't really remember any slower corners or sections anywhere. I know that the average speed is way higher there and who does like that long right hander that opens up to the straight away. :vroom:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Hate that turn... but I am getting better on it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I like that whole area, it just feels weird when you first allow the bike go wide there. Especially when you notice that alot of riders hug that inside line and they are going so slow. It makes you think am I too wide and is there traction out here? But the bike feels good and planted and you can just feed so much throttle and it just feels good. Only thing that kinda got me and i'm still working on the ending of that turn though. If i'm alone i'm fine but its when I run into traffic there that messes me up.

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
From the perspective of the guy picking up the crashed bikes:

on L, everyone bins it in 3 corners.
4 (the first left-hander)
7 (the 2nd left-hander)
and occasionally 5 (the over-crest blind right)

that's about it as far as usual crash spots. not to say crashes don't happen elsewhere, but the overwhelming majority are those 3.

on T it's
1 (A LOT especially on race days)
3 (chicane, usually in the left-turn portion)
5 (slower left, quite a bit as well)
and 8?9? somewhere in the neverending left or right they end up going straight or laying down for some reason, but this is far outnumbered by 1,3 and 5. Usually everyone just goes way slower than they need to through the back section and then wreck in the front section cause it's "easy" (odd that...)

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
I like that whole area, it just feels weird when you first allow the bike go wide there.
You can't take that line racing. Just asking to get passed on the inside.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You can't take that line racing. Just asking to get passed on the inside.
Didn't think of that but during most trackdays I never saw anyone in TPM's Yellow group on that line but mostly everyone in the RED group is on that line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts