Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Ninja 650R Taking Shape!

4K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  Northwind 
#1 ·
It's coming together!! We got a Gold-Valve fork setup worked out today and put a Penske on! Now it just needs the race bodywork and rearset, and it's TO THE TRACK!!! 8)

See less See more
#10 ·
Titusss said:
yeah really...are you going to keep those giant pieces of metal there?
+1

Sounds like something is in the works, bike will be a beauty with normal rearsets. How's she ride? Power output estimation real world / what you'd expect to see on a dyno. Can't wait to ride one at AMA Vintage Days in August.

#12 ·
Well I have to say that if the rear sets can be sorted that might just be a competitor to the SV in how nice it looks. I have alwase been an EX500 fan for a lot of reasons and that just looks great. Let us know when you will have the rear sets done and on.

-Zack-

#15 ·
Those are the stock rearsets, and no, they're not staying on the bike. We have new ones being machined. That other bodywork is done by Catalyst racing, it's basically 636 bodywork adapted to the Ninja 650. We're working with GP Composites to design a new set of bodywork specifically for the bike, it's going to be pretty cool. They're getting my bike on Monday to start to process. No, Penske hasn't realeased a shock specifically for it yet, but they're working on it. We used the shock from another bike and adapted it to work so I didn't have to wait! :D The bike doesn't sound too bad in stock form, but it has a HUGE catalytic converter on it that needs to go. I'll be putting on a full exhaust and PCIII very soon...... The bike handles very well, I'm excited about it!

#16 ·
kawi sux. booooo!!! hissssss!!!!!

#17 ·
I'm still not overly excited about the burgandy frame color vs the gray body work. Maybe the 07's will have better coloring that will make them less girly looking.

But snce nearly 10% of all new bike buyers are now female......who knows.

#19 ·
Nexus242 said:
I'm still not overly excited about the burgandy frame color vs the gray body work.   Maybe the 07's will have better coloring that will make them less girly looking. 

But snce nearly 10% of all new bike buyers are now female......who knows.
Tell you what, I won't be surprised if 20% of the Ninja 650 buyers are women, this bike seems to have a big draw for women.  It really is a great bike for newer/smaller riders, might even be better than the SV since it "feels" lighter due to the lower weight distribution.  I'm not crazy about the  burgundy frame either, mine will be black when I'm done with it.  I had thought about doing it in Ducati Red and making the bike a visual clone of my 749R, but we decided that the bike really needs to be Kawi green/black like the ZXRR MotoGP bike, so the black frame is going to happen.  Should look pretty cool once it's all done and the GPComposites guys get me a MotoGP tail section!  8)

#24 ·
#25 ·
jarelj said:
Tell you what, I won't be surprised if 20% of the Ninja 650 buyers are women, this bike seems to have a big draw for women.  It really is a great bike for newer/smaller riders, might even be better than the SV since it "feels" lighter due to the lower weight distribution.  I'm not crazy about the  burgundy frame either, mine will be black when I'm done with it.  I had thought about doing it in Ducati Red and making the bike a visual clone of my 749R, but we decided that the bike really needs to be Kawi green/black like the ZXRR MotoGP bike, so the black frame is going to happen.  Should look pretty cool once it's all done and the GPComposites guys get me a MotoGP tail section!  8)
You have a 749R? Why the heck are we talking about some budget Kawi, I want to see your bike!

#26 ·
wonderjosh said:
no, jarel said it was catalyst composites.. http://www.catalystracingcomposites.com/catalyst_racing_composites_118.htm

i think it looks pretty gosh darn spiffy.. makes me wonder how well it would fit on the sv  :)
I say do it. Catalyst composites is good shit, I got my tail from them and its muuuuuuch better than most others I've seen out there and not for much more.

Ok maybe its me, but WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING IN THE SV MAIN FORUM! MOVE IT TO THE OPEN FORUM DAMMIT! BLASPHEMY! Gosh dang ya'll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.