Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Soooo they are looking for an excuse to raise the price on a new one even higher?

It used to be pretty affordable brand new...nowadays not so much.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Is the extra 40 some CC going to sell that many more bikes?

Seems odd that they left the little ninjer alone for 20 years, and then have gone through so many changes in the last 4.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
omgomgomgomg a slow noob bike will be slightly less slow :lmao:
You ride an NSR50 on a go kart track, why u hatin? :p

It's obviously a move to compete with Honda. Kawi had the chance to put fuel injection on the US models in 2008, but never did. 5 years later they can't very well just put FI on it and call it a "new" model without catching serious flack from the MC mags. Therefore, they add 40cc's and a little top end to make it an even better highway bike and an equally good city bike as the CBR250, and finally get around to throwing FI on it too.

If they somehow manage to price it at less than $1000 more than the CBR, they're golden.

The lack of a homologated ZX is also interesting, though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You ride an NSR50 on a go kart track, why u hatin? :p

It's obviously a move to compete with Honda. Kawi had the chance to put fuel injection on the US models in 2008, but never did. 5 years later they can't very well just put FI on it and call it a "new" model without catching serious flack from the MC mags. Therefore, they add 40cc's and a little top end to make it an even better highway bike and an equally good city bike as the CBR250, and finally get around to throwing FI on it too.

If they somehow manage to price it at less than $1000 more than the CBR, they're golden.

The lack of a homologated ZX is also interesting, though.
This is my thinking. If it's under $5k, I wouldn't mind a commuter with dirt cheap insurance. Then the SV can finally be a toy.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I always wondered why they didn't give the 500 a face lift like its little brother. It's almost as good of a commuter bike and people will be less likely to move up so quickly starting on a 500 than the 250 or 300.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always wondered why they didn't give the 500 a face lift like its little brother. It's almost as good of a commuter bike and people will be less likely to move up so quickly starting on a 500 than the 250 or 300.
The popularity of the 650 meant no market for both the 500 and the 250. As you kinda mentioned, many thought the beginner bike should be EITHER the 250 OR the 500. For revenue reasons, Kawasaki obviously wants someone to go from the 250 to the 650, which would never happen if they had kept the 250, 500, and 650.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Not bad, I thought it was just a new 250 coming out. A 300 would be nice and peppy and good enough for everything. Let's hope it's not too heavy.

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
to all you people saying these small displacement bikes would be fun, when is the last time you rode one of these gutless wonders?

in a spec class on a track... maybe. in the real world, no thanks.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
to all you people saying these small displacement bikes would be fun, when is the last time you rode one of these gutless wonders?

Recently and often. And they are fun...stupid, ear-to-ear-grin fun. :)

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts

I've had a few Honda CB400Fs (1975-76 air-cooled SOHC I4). They were a hoot to ride, doing GP-style launches out of stoplights with the clutch slipping to the howl of a 10,000 rpm redline... Update them to a liquid-cooled DOHC with modern frame and brakes and such and you'd have a compact lettle screamer that would be a riot on a twisty back road.

Sadly, they'd be a niche bike, recognized by the few who understand that light weight and great handling are more important than 100+ horsepower.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts