Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a ride with a Ducatti rider I noticed him ride no hands for some distance. While this is probably no trick for an experienced rider I find that if I remove my hand off the throttle (to stretch fingers, adjustmirror etc.) my bike slows right down due to the SV's torque. This happens regardless of gear or RPM range. So here's my questions. Is this normal to all SV's? Is their an adjustment to slow the return rate of the throttle? AS far as I'm concerned the throttle cables are within spec. of the owners manual. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
well....riding with no hands is not something I would do. I'm still relatively new to riding myself (about 5000 miles under my belt), and I'm sure I wouldnt be able to keep my balance.

the bike slowing when you take your hand off the throttle...it's called engine braking, and it's a normal thing with the SV.

the throttle is supposed to snap all the way closed when you let your hand completely off of it. it's a safety thing...if you get thrown off your bike, you wouldnt want it to have a stuck wide open throttle and start chasing you down the road.

there are a few options that allow you to stretch out your right hand for short periods...throttle rocker is a cheap one. there are also throttle locks (I have one, it's great...but I only use it for short periods, just long enough to shake my right hand out a little bit).

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah, the SV's v-twin has a good bit of engine braking. Yours sounds perfectly normal. I would think a Ducati v-twin would have a similar amount of engine braking too - but I've never ridden one. I know the newer Ducatis come with "slipper" clutches - which allow the rear wheel to freewheel or slip when you downgear (maybe when you simply close the throttle if it's adjusted that way), so maybe that's what's going on with your friend's bike.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
gahdzila said:
well....riding with no hands is not something I would do.  I'm still relatively new to riding myself (about 5000 miles under my belt), and I'm sure I wouldnt be able to keep my balance.
the throttle is supposed to snap all the way closed when you let your hand completely off of it.  it's a safety thing...if you get thrown off your bike, you wouldnt want it to have a stuck wide open throttle and start chasing you down the road.
You'd be hard pressed to TRY to lose balance on the bike at anything over ~25mph. It's not going to suddenly fall over.

I have a friend who used to ride a late 90's GSXR750. He asked if I had cruise control stock on my bike like he had on his GSXR. ??? After discussing it and telling him he likely didn't have cruise control stock he starts telling me how it was an old trick to tigthen up the throttle return. I told him "that's a little dangerous because it's hard to loosen it up again quickly so you'll always have to shut the throttle manually." Of course, this is the same guy that says polyurethane bushings make no difference over stock on a car and that stainless steel braided brake lines don't do anything ::)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
You'd be hard pressed to TRY to lose balance on the bike at anything over ~25mph. It's not going to suddenly fall over.
yeah, I guess I never thought of it that way. Though I've never had reason to try it either.

I do remember when I was a kid, all the *cool* kids could ride their bicycles with no hands...I tried it once or twice, and ate enough gravel and asphalt that I wasnt brave enough to try it again :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Riding without you hands on the bars isnt difficult. Get out on a back highway where no other cars are around and get up to crusing speed in 6th and take your hands off, granted yes the engine braking will slow you down but you can go for a lil ways just coasting. You even have the ability to lean and your bike will follow your lead.

*I am not condoning riding with no hands, I am not a stunta, nor do i want to be labeled as such!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Put it in neutral when you reach any speed over 30mph if you want to try it. It's really hard (impossible) to make the bike fall over at this speed. I've tried.

-josh

·
Registered
171 Posts
If your Duc friend was cruising without any hands, he likely has a throttle lock. Or if he was coasting, an SV can coast to a corner or up to a stop quite nicely, but not as easily as an inline 4 (I4). It's not hard to do on an SV, so a Duc would probably be similar.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Husband often rides no handed on his GSXR when he starts slowing down, and I've tried it, but I do slow down a lot faster than he does. I always thought is was just the difference in our engines.

G

·
gahdzila said:
yeah, I guess I never thought of it that way.  Though I've never had reason to try it either.

I do remember when I was a kid, all the *cool* kids could ride their bicycles with no hands...I tried it once or twice, and ate enough gravel and asphalt that I wasnt brave enough to try it again  :D
I still ride my mountain bike down the stairs with no hands in my appt complex :p Never tried it on the real bike though under engine braking. The ducati dude must have an O ring or some sort of 'cruise control' to do it for any length of time. ???

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
As often as I tinker with suspension and ride height, I do this frequently to estimate weight bias and stability. It also helps re-affirm the power of gripping the tank with the knees as a bike control technique...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts