Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I have an 02 svs with two brothers slip on, desnorkaled filter, and some really short gearing.

I want to step up the power of the bike significantly, whats the next step with the most power per dollar?

·
Registered
737 Posts
For cheap power, flatslides are not the way to go.

Pods, full system (although that isn't anywhere close to cheap either) and a cam swap.

Edit: Yeah, flatslides are racing carbs basically. It isn't vacuum operated anymore - you twisting the throttle operates the slides directly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know to get a full system I need a new canister too? Or do they sell the rest of thew piping to fit?

What about some of the racing kits? ie: pistons, carbs, ect...

·
Registered
432 Posts
mario60185 said:
I want to step up the power of the bike significantly, whats the next step with the most power per dollar?
Get a different bike. Maybe an SV1000, gsxr, etc.

·
Registered
432 Posts
mario60185 said:
Always one smartass  ^^
Not really. I just think it's funny when guys buy low powered bikes and then look every which way to squeeze ponies out of 'em. Also, with so many mods done by God knows who you can really mess up a great street bike. I'm all for a good system and a power commander especially when they actually improve drivability. I mean you've already f'd up the gearing. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I didnt "F" up the gearing, unless you think smoking your ass on any road is "F" ed up gearing.

Ive been riding 7 years now, the sv is a blast, I love it the way I set it up. BUT...I would also love it more with maybe 7-12 more ponies.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
'zat your oil-boiler in the avatar?

Do the cams, no matter what else you do. There's close to no downside to it and it's cheap, and moderately easy.

These guys are all over flatsides... But they can be a little impractical for road use. On the occasions when I have to scrape the ice off the bike before I can get the key in, I'm pretty glad for my choke ;) For a race bike, they're fantastic. For a toy, or a fair-weather bike, then they're also fantastic. But for a bike that's got to deal with whatever the world chucks at it, I'd walk away. I did in fact ;)

Ful system won't get you a great deal of power for the price- big outlay on parts, and a fair amount of setup too. It's a neccesity to get the best out of other parts though.

That ought to be enough for starters... if you want better "drivability"- midrange usable power instead of pure peak- I'm personally a fan of the 4 degree igniton advance, since again it's cheap and moderately easy to do, but that can cost you power on top on a tuned bike (not enough to make me take mine out, but you might differ)

That's more or less where I'm at- I'v got a better filter than yours, and tank spacers to make the most of it, but otherwise that's it. Next will be hayabusa pistons and a compression hike I reckon, and maybe pod air filters.

But. IMO, with the possible exception of the cams, $1 spent on handling mods will make you faster than $2 spent on power. You didn't say if you have any handling mods, but I reckon on the track, my GSXR front end and Ohlins rear is worth more per lap than all my power mods and weight reduction (which aren't huge, but cost more than the suspension mods once you take into account the money I made back selling the stock parts)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Northwind. I have tank spacers too, and for ride just better rubber and lowered front end which helped alot.

So you think the flatsides are ok for summer time street abuse? Where can I find them?

So im thinking flatsides, cams, and pods, and rejet.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I'm not big on what they're good for, just on what they're not ;) They're not cheap though- you could do a lot of handling work for the price. And tbh, if you do put that extra power in the bike the stock bits aren't going to be up to the task of putting it on the road, IMO. At the very least budget for springs and oil in th front and a shock swap in the rear.

I've got my standard shock back in at the mo, while the Ohlins is off for a service, and tbh it's making a big difference to how I can use the power. Traction's nothing like as good out of bends, and really heavy straight-line acceleration on less than perfect surfaces can be a bit hairy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What kind of money are you looking at spending?

And how much are you thinking you are going to get out of this amount of money spent?

The SV650 isnt really known to be a big power house. Would hate to see you dump $2500 and not be anywhere near where you want.

But, some think that $2500 for 20 hp is nothing.

G

·
mario60185 said:
Thank you Northwind. I have tank spacers too, and for ride just better rubber and lowered front end which helped alot.

So you think the flatsides are ok for summer time street abuse? Where can I find them?

So im thinking flatsides, cams, and pods, and rejet.
nowhere right now,they are on back order.I have 5 sets on order for month now.
flatslides,cams will get you close to 80hp.
cams are cheapest mod that actualy makes power,after pipe and rejjet.once done it is huge improvement over stock motor.after that gets expensive and gains are small.
it all depends how much money you want to spend.for under 3K you can get motor overhauled with flats and cams.
motors I build for racers around here are all around 80hp and cost less than 3k with parts and labor to take whole motor apart.it is prety much what you should expect to spend on good running motor that makes good power.
you can spend more but there is no need for it.if this is not enough than bigger bike is only option in my opinion.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a question that's related due to the flatslide discussion. Would there be a way to hook up the cable to the slide instead of the butterly on our carbs? We could completely take out the butterfly and choke, and designing something that would connect the cable straight to the slide. Then if it's possible rejet for the required fuel. There would have to be a pulley system design and a way to put the cable through the black cap straight through to the slide so that no air could get through. Cap off the slide hole or use the slide hole for the cable to go through.

Just a thought not sure if it's possible,

Grav.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts