Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents and Ladies dont get me wrong I love my 01 SV 650s but wouldnt any of you like to see a slight increase in displacement and some major suspension revision. Perhaps a 750-800 cc with GSXR caliber forks and shock.

Or maybe even a SV??? R Model

The SV 750RS... Id pay the price of a GSXR 600 or maybe even GSXR 750 for a really kick A$$ 750 V-twin that was ready to rock off the showroom floor. I know the SV was originally designed as a price point bike but I do believe there is a market for a performance oriented middleweight V-twin to take on the Ducati Monster and Supersport and possibly even the 749... yeah Im dreaming again. :D Maybe if we all mass emailed Suzuki Corp. :wink:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I wouldn't mind a 750 with similar characteristics. of course I wouldn't mind a 450 with similar power either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How about keeping the 650 and downsizing the 1000?
:lol:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm guessing no new models until the current platform runs the typical 4yr design cycle. Suzuki currently owns this market segment vs the Honda 599 and the Yamaha ZF6, they know a good thing when they see it. the competition is heating up - I wouldn't mind an upgraded 650 with better suspension, which has been this bike's weak point. IF they downsize the 1000 to 750 they should bring in the JDM sleeved SV400; there needs to be a budget beginners bike.

·
Registered
973 Posts
have you tried changing the gearing a little like going down up front or up a couple teeth in the back....my 05 naked hauls ass now and has way more torque than then stock gearing..and i dont notice a big loss in top end speed..maybe 5 miles an hour or so....pulls WAYYY better now...

·
Registered
490 Posts
ryrides said:
have you tried changing the gearing a little like going down up front or up a couple teeth in the back....my 05 naked hauls ass now and has way more torque than then stock gearing..and i dont notice a big loss in top end speed..maybe 5 miles an hour or so....pulls WAYYY better now...
Specifically what gearing change did you make?

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
mtgeek said:
Specifically what gearing change did you make?
I run a 46 rear with the stock front. The result is noticeable. I have a 01svs dont want to get into all the mods I have (see bottom of my post) the stock for the S model(01) was 44 the nakid 45. With the 46 the front wheel will come off the ground under hard acceleration in second. I keep up with gsxr 600 quite well(below 80mph) at freeway speeds I am at 7500 rpm at 80mph top speed is 125. I like this setup . I was able to turn a 11.4 1/4 mile at sears point wed night drags. Keep in mind I had several terrible runs and someone with more launching skill would have done better. Gearing IMHO is the cheapest way to get some more pop out of the bike

·
Registered
667 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
I wouldn't get your hopes up. I doubt they have the tooling paid off, so I wouldn't look for a new model or model changes anytime soon.
Agreed. They own the market segment for now, and even though the competition is heating up, SV's are still selling like hotcakes, so why would they change them? Also, most people wouldn't even notice GSXR-grade forks, and I bet you would mainly hear pissing and moaning about the price-hike. I know that I wouldn't notice much in the way of better brakes or shocks. It is not a race bike, it's a cheap, fun, sport-esque motorcycle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ryrides said:
Master, your powers of thread Necromancy are Impressive!!!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
asp125 said:
IF they downsize the 1000 to 750 they should bring in the JDM sleeved SV400; there needs to be a budget beginners bike.
The 400 is not 'sleeved down' - the 650 is a bored/stroked 400. The 400 existed before the 650 did - hitting the Japanese market in '98. It's still in production in Japan with the original (tube-frame, carbs) design:

http://www1.suzuki.co.jp/motor/sv400s/

A downsized 1000 is pointless. All the handling compromises of the bigger bike, with near-identical weight and less power.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
The next generation should be curvey like the first, 645cc and fuel injected

·
Registered
50 Posts
The SV650 is a near perfect all-arounder. For practical usage, you don't have to change one thing on it....but of course we all do. I wish it came with a more comfortable longrange comfort seat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I visited Japan last summer, snapped these pics:

Why can't we get paintjobs like that stock?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts