Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!! ;D

I'm a newbie to the sv but not to bikes. I ride an old school yamaha xs11 that I brought back from the dead.

I'm looking at a 99 sv650 with 25k on it, a 1k rpm idle and a brake light that never turns off.

First things first, I'll try to get that idle down and i'll search for what that's supposed to be. It can't be too high. My bike's an inline 4 and idles around 1.2k. This should be a lot lower. I'm going to check any vacuum lines for leaks, then clean the carbs, sync them, and see if I can get my idle down to where it's supposed to be. I don't know how these carbs work, so if there's something special I should be aware of, please let me know.

Then, I'll trouble shoot that brake light. Fuses, both front and rear brake levers to make sure they aren't sticking or the electricals aren't corroded or fouled up causing that connection. I'm not sure how the brake light gets it's signal to light up on these bikes, so I'll search that too.

And finally, I'll check the valves to see if they need adjusting. Not sure what the adjustment period is, but if it needs it...might as well. Obviously, I will change oil, coolant and brake fluid before doing any of this.

Any tips? Suggestions? I'm here in Austin TX if any of you guys are local.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
First of all, the idle should be around 1,300 rpm.

For the brake light, check the sender at the rear brake pedal. They're a fairly common piece to fail on older bikes.

I'm in Dallas. Quite a few folk in this area!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...I mis-spoke. The idle is 1k too high...not 1k. I'm actually pretty surprised that it idles past 1k...then again...its a completely new bike to me that I know NOTHING about. :)

good thing svrider.com exists... :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way...thanks for all of the welcomes. I'm looking forward to meeting up with some of you in the near future!

I wasn't intending on trying to start up a "my bike is sick...please help me fix it" thread in the newbie section. I'll do my homework...I just wanted to throw it out there if anybody wanted to PM with some advice or if they experienced the same things. Thanks!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
y0 n00blet (dont worry im one myself) im Beaumont lol plan on making road trip to austin soon see you then

peace -
DMC

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I checked out the bike...it wasn't what I expected....it was so much BETTER!!! This bike is awesome!!

A quick question though...what is the little knob on the left side (sitting on the bike) that just dangles there under the tank?

The fuel light is not working. If anybody can point me to an owners manual online so I can research the check procedure for the circuit, that'd be great. If it's not that, I'll find a rainy day (too nice to take her down otherwise) to pull the tank and take the sending unit out for inspection/replacement. If it is the circuit, I'll swap it out with an LED. :)

DevilMac...definitely hit me up. The hot rod show is coming up so you should come for that!!! Hot chicks...hot cars...what more could you ask for? :)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
If it's a little black knob that turns, it's the idle adjustment knob.

Welcome to the site.

Just so you know, 1gens have issues with water getting in the front plug. Dialectic grease around the plug will fix the issue. We found out the hard way this weekend while on my daughter's first rode trip with her 02 SV. An hour on the side of the road waiting for gas, and I remembered the plug issue. :angry7:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL It's so funny that you mention that!! I was talking with the guy and he said it died on him when it started raining one time. I asked if his tach was not working or being all insane...he said yeah. I told him what it was. :)

The bike also has heated grips!! New tires, new pads in the back, new calipers, rotors and pads up front and a new battery all for 1500....not a bad deal! I did notice she has a hiccup while idling...sounds like carb fun. Has anybody used seafoam on these bikes as a gas additive to help clean out the carbs every other tank or so?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts