Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
So I just picked up an 06 sv650s and thought I should find somewhere to learn a little bit about my bike.
I'm a new rider and if you guys have any advice i'd be happy to take it! I just got through the MSF class and have been piddling around in my neighborhood trying to get comfortable with the bike. How long did it take you guys to get comfortable enough to start going places ?

Lance

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey Lance! Welcome to the site and to the world of biking. With whom did you take your MSF, if I may ask?

When I first started riding, I think it was a week or two before I ventured out into traffic. Thinking back on it all these years later, I think I may have rushed a bit because I was still having trouble with my take-offs, shifting, etc.

When my students ask this question, I always tell them to go with baby steps: be completely comfortable with your take-offs, with shifting, basic throttle control and with basic braking before you start adding in other distractions (like traffic). Especially take-offs: there are few things more stressful than stalling your bike at a light with lots of cars behind you being impatient.

Basically, in my opinion, you're ready for traffic when you are comfortable enough with the operation of your bike that it is not what you are focusing upon while riding. After all, you can't be paying attention to the idiot about to cut you off because he wants to be first in line at the light, if you are talking yourself through how to stop, add you can't be effectively managing the traffic situation around you if you have to look down and search to find your speedo/brake/clutch/turn signal/etc.

And don't forget to go back to your quiet street/parking lot and practice quick stops periodically (the last exercise you do on day 1). Knowing the limits of your bike's brakes is critical.

Again, welcome to the club! :)

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Welcome to SVR. Keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the brotherhood.

I slowly worked my way into traffic riding by following Shalihe74's advice and getting out EARLY in the morning on weekends when traffic is very light. It's much easier to get used to having 1 or 2 cars around than to jump into the middle of mid day mayhem. As the morning progress, more cars come out an you go home. The more you do it, the more aware and comfortable you'll become as the traffic builds up.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Welcome to SVR. As the others have stated, take your time. I rode my first 3 months on city streets getting used to stopping and starting, turning and getting to know the bike. When I moved I started to venture out into more open roads once I didn't have to think about what control was where and knew about where the shift points were.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Again, welcome to the site. took me a about a month or two to get comfortable to freeway ride. Where in az are you located? If your anywhere near phoenix and looking for some to ride with hit me up. Also I usually hit up the scottsdale pavillions on saturday nights to check out all the other bikes. Last weekend there were about a half dozen sv's there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everybody thanks for the responses! I took my riding course in phoenix with Ride Smart. I had a great time and learned a lot.
I really appreciate all the advice. I'll be sure to take it slow and steady.
I'm located in glendale, erstadw, so we'll have to meet up sometime when i get comfortable riding around.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey everybody thanks for the responses! I took my riding course in phoenix with Ride Smart. I had a great time and learned a lot.
I really appreciate all the advice. I'll be sure to take it slow and steady.
I'm located in glendale, erstadw, so we'll have to meet up sometime when i get comfortable riding around.
Yay! :hello2: I was hoping you'd say RideSmart... I teach for them. :D I'm glad you had a great time! Definitely come by and visit sometime, once you're out and about on the bike. We love to see old students on their new scoots! ;D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay! :hello2: I was hoping you'd say RideSmart... I teach for them. :D I'm glad you had a great time! Definitely come by and visit sometime, once you're out and about on the bike. We love to see old students on their new scoots! ;D:thumbsup:
Will do, I have to get comfortable riding around first, and I'll definitely head out there and see you guys again! I don't know if you remember talking to me, I was asking you one morning (when you didnt get to go to your track day :( ) how you felt about a gsxr600 as a starter bike and you convinced me that a 500 was a much better idea lol. I compromised, grabbed a 650 and I love it :). Thank you guys for all your help!

Lance

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Welcome to SVR. AZ is a nice place to ride!;D

When I started riding it seemed to come natural until I hit some real roads. I caught on quick, thought I was a pro after 2 years of technical riding. Then I moved to AZ and rode Cali. 5 years of excessive riding... I would say that I'm still learning.

to be a better rider; take advice from other riders (but not all, I hear people giving bad advice sometimes), watch other riders form, watch training videos, take classes, ride track, and never ride above your skill level. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to SVR. AZ is a nice place to ride!;D

When I started riding it seemed to come natural until I hit some real roads. I caught on quick, thought I was a pro after 2 years of technical riding. Then I moved to AZ and rode Cali. 5 years of excessive riding... I would say that I'm still learning.

to be a better rider; take advice from other riders (but not all, I hear people giving bad advice sometimes), watch other riders form, watch training videos, take classes, ride track, and never ride above your skill level. ;)
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Will do, I have to get comfortable riding around first, and I'll definitely head out there and see you guys again! I don't know if you remember talking to me, I was asking you one morning (when you didnt get to go to your track day :( ) how you felt about a gsxr600 as a starter bike and you convinced me that a 500 was a much better idea lol. I compromised, grabbed a 650 and I love it :). Thank you guys for all your help!

Lance
Of course I remember you!! You've made a very very wise decision going with the non-supersport, and the SV is an awesome bike. I finally got mine out at the track this past Sunday and it was an absolute blast.

I hope I'm working/hanging out when you make it by to visit! And when you do get ready to go out riding around, definitely hit me up. I'm always happy to go out with new riders or, if I'm not available, hook them up with other folks who are good, newbie-friendly folks.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Welcome!!!

Lots of good advice posted already.

I'll just add ... when you finally start getting comfortable on the bike, and confident... be especially careful. It's easy to get OVERconfident. I did, 'til I got the **** scared out of me one day.

Happy riding!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts