Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi *,
Not just new to SV's...I'm new to motorcycles.

I'd been researching ADV bike before the lockdown, but before I could go to showrooms everything was closed. I initially was looking at the BMW 310gs, Versys 300, RE Himalyan and CB500x. The CB500x was the only one that had enough power for freeway use, but when I finally was able to sit on one it was too big.

Then I started looking at FZ07, but saw a lot of review comparison with Z650 and SV650. I was excited when a local dealer had all three and was open by appt. As my first bike, I was really price driven. So my first choice was the FZ07 with 14kmi, Z650 w/3kmi, and then SV650 with 1200mi. The FZ was $4+K, the Z650 $5+k and the SV650 $6+k

When I got to the dealer, the FZ07 and Z650 had sold. They let me sit on all of them and the SV650 and Z650 fit the best....although above my original budget, I really like how the SV650 looked and started getting emotionally attached =)

....and that's how I became the proud owner of 2019 SV650 ABS with 1215miles =)....and it was delivered on the morning I got my motorcycle permit (yes DMV was open) I'm enrolled in a MSF course 5/30 so I should have my full license in June.

I did take it around the neighborhood when it was delivered. I drive a 4Runner with a manual so shifting was easy. Managing the throttle is going to be my challenge. That all the riding for now, until my helmet (HJC ARPHA 90) arrives (Tue 5/26).

I've been scrounging for used MC gear - I got a nice First Gear mesh jacket w/liner (and gloves) for $80 and Sidi boots for $40, the only new gear I've bought was the helmet.

I did my first mod today I put on Shogun frame sliders....because I'm a newbie.

I'm anxious and excited to start riding!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the forums fellow San Diegan! I was able to attend a couple demo days at FBC last year and test drove the MT07 and Z650. Fell in love with both. All three are so close in specs it comes down to preference (or availability in your case). What drove me to my SV was price. I went older (2009), so buy in was much cheaper. Unfortunately that meant no ABS.

The SV650 is a lot of bike for a beginner, but it is manageable. The ABS should save you from some mistakes of inexperience at least. Now you have the advantage of taking the MSF course on your own bike too.
Where are you taking the MSF if you don't mind me asking? I was looking them up recently and they were all closed due to Covid. Good to know they are starting back up again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome to the forums fellow San Diegan! I was able to attend a couple demo days at FBC last year and test drove the MT07 and Z650. Fell in love with both. All three are so close in specs it comes down to preference (or availability in your case). What drove me to my SV was price. I went older (2009), so buy in was much cheaper. Unfortunately that meant no ABS.

The SV650 is a lot of bike for a beginner, but it is manageable. The ABS should save you from some mistakes of inexperience at least. Now you have the advantage of taking the MSF course on your own bike too.
Where are you taking the MSF if you don't mind me asking? I was looking them up recently and they were all closed due to Covid. Good to know they are starting back up again.
Inland Valley Motorsports - South. Looks like the amphitheater is where the hands-on training happens, class work is via Zoom. I got lucky, the MC license wasn't on the list of critical services at the DMV, but I took a chance and went anyway. Initially they told me they weren't doing them, but I told the guy it was my only vehicle and he let me in. The lady who took my picture told me they (Inland Valley) had just open classes and gave me the number. I went from nothing working out because of covid, to everything falling in place =)

Not sure I'll use my bike though, I really haven't been able to ride it since my helmet hasn't arrived ( it comes today).

Yeah, that's why I was originally looking at the FZ07 the prices were cheaper since it's been the same bike for many years. The SV was basically new and I didn't want new for my first bike, but I was sold on the looks, abs, and the 'low rpm-assist' which basically prevents stalling =).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts