Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find emulators for my 99 650. I heard the improve the front end. What exactly are they.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
joker said:
Where can I find emulators for my 99 650. I heard the improve the front end. What exactly are they.
Cartridge Emulators help the cheap forks Suzuki put on the SV perform more like the not-cheap forks you'd find on more expensive bikes.  Emluators let old technology damping rod forks "emulate" the performance of cartridge forks. by allowing for different settings for rebound damping and compression damping.
Now, matriculate at Google University and search for each phrase or term I've highlighted in red.  Here's a start - Emulators 101.
http://dot.com.ph/uncle/racetech.html
Race Tech holds the patent so all "emulators" are Race Techs.http://www.race-tech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=17&c=Yes&showPage=street (at least for now)

Emulators are sort of the last step in SV fork upgrades before swapping out for completely different front ends. (GSXRs mostly.) And, there are less expensive steps to take before buying emulators. Making sure the spring rate and fork oil weight (viscosity) is right for your weight is a good first step. Seat time is also vital because it helps you understand how (and if) the stock set-up is limiting your riding enjoyment on the street.

I'd recommend you talk to SVRaceshop http://www.motospecialties.com/SVRS.htm because they know what they're talking about, they're a sponsor here and we like to reward those who help keep SVRider a viable, lively community. Although those guys race, their shop is not really just for racers. Twin Works Factory http://www.twinworksfactory.com/suzuki/index.htm has a lot of experience with SVs and Zoran Vujasinovic (pronounced "Zoran")(who posts here as "TWF") is one of our great tech gurus.

Traxxion Dynamics also sells a lot of Race Tech emulators to SV owners, so they've got experience in the game as well.
Welcome.  Ride well and be happy. 

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I already ordered 20w oil for the forks to try to stiffen them up. I am just scared of the front end washing out on a corner because of the sloppy forks and I like to wheelie and when i come down the bike really hits hard cuz of the sloppy forks. :-\

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Um, yeah, OK. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Check the front end's total sag. You are shooting for 30 to 35mm. Before putting 20W oil in, consider your weight. If you are less than 175# or so 15W is probably a better match.

Just a rant, don't wheelie. It may seem like fun but it's hard on the front end and it's not safe and it's not legal. A motorcycle isn't a toy.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Oh, and while you're doing a site search, type in "Connecting Rod Bearings". There seems to be a strong correlation between prolonged and/or repeated wheelies, and needing to replace major bottom-end component$.

Fok upgrades are great for handling, which is another one of the SV's strong suits.

Welcome to the board!

Bill

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am about 215 lbs. So from what you said about considering my weight. The 20w should be good? And I don't wheelie on public streets. And as for the front end. I know that it is hard on it but I gotta get this wheelie craze out of my system or it will be with me for the rest of my life

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW If there is one bike out there that is a toy the SV is it. Toys are for fun right? And the SV is fun right? There fore it is a toy and it is my favorite toy. Out of all the bikes i've rode and anyone who has rode my sv, we all agree that the sv is the funnest machine to ride

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Motorcycles are fun. So is target shooting. I enjoy large-bore slow fire. I wouldn't call my .44 magnums toys. They are lethal weapon requiring a great deal of training and caution. Same thing for motorcycles.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i would look at new springs when you do the oil . give rich a call at sonic springs. i am sure he can help you . and about wheelis, well it's your bike have fun ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love to see you trap shoot with a .44 magnum. That has to be pretty damn difficult.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked around on the sonic springs site last night for a bit and I think I am going to order up some new springs. In a few tech forums I've read they say to add a few extra washers on top as to act like a preload. Is that a good idea??

·
Registered
687 Posts
huh act like pr loaders , oh you must have a 1gen bike ? right aaah ask rich when you order he is a Big help washer come with it and i think he tells you to cut the PVC longer too. not sure on that one i have an 04 bike :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
andyauger said:
Just a rant, don't wheelie.  It may seem like fun but it's hard on the front end and it's not safe and it's not legal.  A motorcycle isn't a toy.
Wow, you win the prize for "Most Condecending and Hypocritical Post of the Day". Riding motorcycles is very dangerous, wheelies or not, yet we all do it. Just how dangerous is different for everyone; some people wheelie more safely than you ride to 7-11. Conditions and skill are big variables. And I suppose you have never done ANYTHING that is against the law? ::)

Oh yeah, and everyone has given good advice on the emulators so far. Go to the source for the answers: Race Tech, SVRaceShop, and Traxxion Dynamics will tell you everything you wanted to know and more.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
bmxr said:
Wow, you win the prize for "Most Condecending and Hypocritical Post of the Day".  Riding motorcycles is very dangerous, wheelies or not, yet we all do it.  Just how dangerous is different for everyone; some people wheelie more safely than you ride to 7-11.  Conditions and skill are big variables.
I think "condescending" is a little presumptuous and harsh, maybe even wrong. "Hypocritical" is just not called for. Joker has posted several very basic questions on the board, and has gotten some good answers, I think. He also got some advice. That often happens. 
Joker's questions showed a lack of some very basic understanding, but an admirable eagerness to learn, about the operation and capabilities of motorcycle he's chosen to ride.  As andyauger pointed out, a motorcycle isn't a toy, it's a tool. An admonition from an experienced rider to a new rider not to explore the outer limits of a dangerous tool's performance before understanding and mastering its basics is not flame. Neither is a reminder not to break the law. Both are sound advice.
The point you made about selectively obeying or flouting laws was apt. But instead of simply expressing a contrary point of view to andyauger's, you chose to characterize andyauger as "condescending and hypocritical." You seem pretty upset about the remark. You also sound like you have a giant chip on your shoulder.  What's the deal, bmxr?   

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
joker said:
Thanks for the info. I already ordered 20w oil for the forks to try to stiffen them up. I am just scared of the front end washing out on a corner because of the sloppy forks and I like to wheelie and when i come down the bike really hits hard cuz of the sloppy forks.   :-\
you need to learn to land the wheelies, give it more throttle before the front touches down to feather the front down

this is a great read for sv forks http://www.svraceshop.com/SVForkUpgradeFAQ.asp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts