Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I've decided to post in here to get some advices and opinions.
I got my license 5 yrs ago but never had a chance to own a bike.
I am looking to buy a sv650s.
I found two on craigslist and hoping that you guys would guide me to my first bike.

a 2002 Suzuki sv650 with 15k miles, micron exhaust, yolk (what is this?), tank pad, rear hugger for $2800. http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/mcy/1108928005.html

2003 sv650s with 9,300 miles, D&D exhaust, carbon clutch and brake levers for $3300. http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/1099857838.html

What's the difference between 02 & 03? they look different in the pics.
which one is a better deal? What should I look for when shopping for a used bike. I know nothing about bikes. How do I bargain? Usually, how many hundreds can i cut from the asking price?
Oh another thing, I'm 5'4'' and 135 lbs. Do you think i can handle the sv650s?

Thanks all,
TN

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dont know much about byin used bikes but I do know That there is a lot more people with parts for 02 than there is for 03's. Almost every part I've seen is either 99-02, '03, 04-08. Which means 03 parts are specific to that bike where as with an 02 you have a couple of years to work with. First gen guys correct me if I'm wrong!!!! P. S - What part of Jersey are u from?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Almost every part I've seen is either 99-02, '03, 04-08.
That's pretty much the break down. The 03 marks the first year of the 2nd Gen; meaning new body style, frame, FI, and some other tweaks. However Suzuki made some more revisions to the body and frame in 04, meaning a lot of parts are 03 specific. The 02's can still be very strong (read: if they were properly maintained) and you'll find a good number of parts, but they still use carbs and are much curvier than the 2nd Gen's. Some people love that, some don't; your call.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm from north jersey around essex fells.
I think I like the 03 and later body style.
the 03 is asking for 3300.
what should I offer?
would 2800 be ok?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
$2800 wouldn't hurt. NADA says that bike is average at $3100. See if he'll meet you in the middle if nothing else. I'd get the bike checked over by a local mechanic for abuse or damage before you buy. Call it a hunch but the chrome brain bucket on the seat gives me the feeling this owner doesn't have a lot of care for his (and most likely his bikes) well being.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$2800 wouldn't hurt. NADA says that bike is average at $3100. See if he'll meet you in the middle if nothing else. I'd get the bike checked over by a local mechanic for abuse or damage before you buy. Call it a hunch but the chrome brain bucket on the seat gives me the feeling this owner doesn't have a lot of care for his (and most likely his bikes) well being.
Thanks for the tip.
I Live in NJ and the bike is in LI. So, i have to find a local mechanic and bring him with me. HOw much do you think I should pay the mechanic?

THanks again.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Thanks for the tip.
How much do you think I should pay the mechanic?
That I honestly don't know. I'd more make sure to find one you trust or has a solid reputation and then talk prices from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts